Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Playing bass through guitar cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sleepwalker, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Sleepwalker

Sleepwalker

Feb 20, 2005
    I know it's not the best thing to do, but I have a Crate guitar cab with 4 10's in it and a Fender guitar head. Is it dangerous to play a bass guitar through it? Also the tone isn't as deep because I use a distortion pedal so it is muffled a little bit. So does anyone know if this will hurt my guitar cab?

2. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Yeah, at any kind of volume, you're going to rip you speakers to shreds. Guitar speakers have thiner, lighter weight cones and weaker surrounds. They can't take the air pressure.

It'll work fine LOW volume though.....

3. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Low volume is your only hope. Gutiar amps are desighned to break up when pushed and will fry speakers with a bass. Keep the Gain low and master turned up but it at best a temporary solution. Don't feel bad though I'm sure many of the old timers here played thru a gutiar amp at one time or another due to economics.

4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    +1

I play through some guitar amps in the studio, 'cause they get some great sound. At "low" volumes.

For instance, I have a modified Twin Reverb that sounds great with all kinds of basses.

But I bypass the Weber speakers, and go directly into a pair of Bag End S-12's. The speakers are pretty important in that equation. I agree with burk, guitar speakers tend to be pretty fragile for bass applications. Mostly it's the excursion that kills 'em.

Keep it a low volume, and you'll be fine. :)

5. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Play at REALLY low volumes and you'll be fine. As soon as you notice your cab farting when you play low notes turn down.

6. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    I played through guitar amps when I was a kid. They might still work... I haven't gotten round to replacing the speakers in any of them. Seriously, the speakers in all the guitar amps I've owned have large holes in them.