Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

playing bass thru a guitar cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by matt ramey, Dec 30, 2004.

1. matt ramey

matt ramey

Dec 11, 2004
    pending that a guitar cab can handle the wattage of a bass head, will playing bass thru a guitar cab hurt the speakers.

are there fundamental differences in guitar & bass speakers that would cause the low frequencies to damage the guitar speakers?

and if the answer is YES, you can use that combination, does anyone know a guitar cab that can handle 600w at 4 ohms or 400 watts at 8 ohms.

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Guitar cabs and the drivers in them are generally not designed to work with bass. Not only might you blow them it will also sound rather horrid.

3. matt ramey

matt ramey

Dec 11, 2004
    could you elaborate a bit on that with the technical specks youre refering to? just for my own knowledge.

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    True guitar drivers, and the cabinets they are mounted in, are designed to operate at least a full octave above the range of the electric bass. One example is a Celestion G12-75, which, with an 80 Hz fs, will not have useable output in the lower octave of the bass, and if forced to attempt the task the voice coil former will ram against the magnet structure and destroy the coil.

5. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Hmm, IIRC Geezer Butler (Black Sabbath) played through a Marshall half stack ;)

6. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
  7. matt ramey

matt ramey

Dec 11, 2004
    do you know about how much those marshall 4x12s cost about? or again does anyone know about the GK neo412. im very much in the market & i NEED some help finding a used one if possible.

8. 0scar

0scar

Jul 11, 2003
    Since we're sort of on the topic...

what about playing a guitar through a guitar amp and bass cab?

9. matt ramey

matt ramey

Dec 11, 2004
    actually i play my guitar thru my bass rig....i know a few bands whos guitarist plays theyre guitar thru a bass head & guitar cab.....im sure a guitar head thru a bass cab wouldnt harm a thing....

i like playing my guitar thru my bass rig because:
    1. i usually play trebbly guitars (telecasters, ricks) & even with the bass turned down, a bass head offers a nice bass undertone that makes the tone more full
    2. it means i dont have to have another rig :)

10. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    Some times I play my bass through my tube guitar combo, jsut so I can dream of what my Traynor might be like :D