Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

playing bass to TV commercials

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by ahhelpme, Feb 10, 2005.

1. ahhelpme

ahhelpme

Aug 26, 2004
    When im watching shows on TV I usually bring my bass out to the living room and listen to the commercials a few times round then attempt playing them. Its great fun, anyone else do it?

2. I do something similar. I play bass to music videos on saturday morning or late saturday night. It's kinda hard tho, cause most of the music on TV here is rubbish. There isn't any 'music' at all. It's all vocals with samples and attrocious electronic beats. Like that new Snoop Dogg song. That's not even a song! It's just a bunch of poor quality, random sound samples with some druggy spouting incomprehensible lyrics! :spit:

:rollno:

...sorry about that, I had to get it off my chest... But yes. I do play bass to things I watch on TV.

3. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Try TV theme songs. I had a great time one night figuring out the King of the Hill theme!

4. BassmanA440

BassmanA440

Feb 3, 2005
    Dallas
    Yup! - Yup! - Yup! - Yup!

I've done the king of the hill thing right in the middle of trying to learn "Donna Lee". My wife looked at me like I was crazy. I like when cops comes on also, its likely to pop up in the middle of whatever I'm playing at the time too.

5. cactus waltz

cactus waltz

Feb 10, 2005
    I always do that! I keep my bass and tv in the same room, so it would be a shame not to. My favorite is the theme to the TV show "Oz", that prison show. Love that bass line.

6. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    +1

I Dream of Jeannie. I Love Lucy. Stuff like that drives the audience wild. We sometimes toss in ten or fifteen seconds of stuff like that between songs (while the keyboard player's adjusting the teleprompter). :D

7. basshunter

basshunter

Feb 11, 2005
    Conway, MA
    Not so much to the commercials, but I do play a lot while watching basketball games. I find that I come up with some cool stuff when my mind is dis-engaged from the playing. Its focused on the game, and my hands and heart are focused on the playing. Then suddenly..."Hey, that was cool!" then I work it out...

8. sometimes i just sit around and play along to pieces of southparks samples. it's great fun intimidating my drummer (who plays guitar)

9. PlayTheBass

PlayTheBass aka Mac Daddy

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    +1 I nearly dented my fretless last night when the Kings couldn't grab a freakin' rebound to save their lives in Seattle... :rollno:

Ever try playing along to the basketball game? It's kinda fun, especially on fretless: bounce bounce bounce paaaaaass bounce shot re-bouuuuund bounce bounce...

10. i just posted a thread in the tablature section asking how to play that dodge comercial, great little crowd pumper to make em laugh and get rid of a little tension

"HIT IT" E--0-3---3-5---0-3---0

11. ahhelpme

ahhelpme

Aug 26, 2004
    yeah its all good practice of musical talent and it makes you appreciate the bass in the commercial, or music video ot TV theme just that little bit more.

12. Seinfeld :bag:

13. ahhelpme

ahhelpme

Aug 26, 2004
    Yea when ever I start playing some slap and pop everyone usually says oh can u play seinfield. Its quite annoying really.

14. BassmanA440

BassmanA440

Feb 3, 2005
    Dallas
    Can I hear the church say Amen!

15. Me 2.

I usually dont bother trying to play stuff from comercials or shows, but everytime Im watching a movie or tv or something, as long as im not bothering anyone with it, I'll be playing bass... not thinking about it, if nothing else is great fingering exercise (getch'ô head outta the gutter :scowl: ), and sometimes we do come up with some pretty cool riffs...

16. I just worked out the ING bank advert, and a cool little line for queer eye for the straight guy. im off school at the mo, so im playin for 10 hours a day! champion! oh yeah,and I WORKED OUT THE BULLSEYE THEME!!!!!!!!!!

17. I don't play to commercials but I like to turn on my Sirius music channels on my dish TV and hit a genre I'm somewhat familiar with and try to play every tune as it comes up on the screen. Sort of a "Stump the Bass Player" game.

As a matter of fact, that would be a good party gag - to show off how many songs you could play without having heard them or learned them before.

18. AMEN Brother!!!! almost everyday in jazzband i hear. "hey, can you play seinfeld??" then i play some random slap riff and their like, OMG thats it" :help: :spit: :p

19. BassmanA440

BassmanA440

Feb 3, 2005
    Dallas
    YUP! That's what they want to hear. Very people few really remember the Seinfeld theme. Almost everyone who asks is thinking of the "keyboard bended slap funk" segues between scenes. They just say, "You know, that thumb thang." Ask them to hum it next time. I got a dollar that I'll feed through my floppy disk drive to you if they can. :eek: :eek:

20. I play along to that Citreon C4 advert with the dancing robot.