Playing Bass/University

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Vorago, Sep 10, 2004.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Alright, this one goes out to all (ex)students here. In 3 weeks I am starting in university, I am going to study Dutch and German. My question is, will I have to sacrifice my bassplaying in order to get through university, I mean, will I have enough time to continue playing a couple hours of bass a day? Of course this is different for everyone, but I quite worried, I don't want to stop progressing...I have figured out that if I'd fill up all the time that I spend browsing Talkbass/internet with playing bass, it shouldn't be too much of a problem...

Any thoughts on this subject?
  2. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    If my knowledge of students is in any way accurate (it should be, I was a student for ten years), you'll probably be able to up your practice to about 4 hours.
  3. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    A day, a week? Big difference :)
  4. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    It depends very much on the course but, unless the rest of your social life takes over, you should have plenty of time to develop your bass playing skills (I'm an aluminus of the University of York, 1990-94).

You'll probably also have the opportunity to get into one or more bands although factors such as having an amp, PA and car will probably improve your chances much more than raw talent ;)

ps. I had a reasonable amp but I remember at least one opportunity where I got passed over because the other guy also had a vocal PA!
  5. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Thanks for the nice words, guess I'll have to a bit back on my social life then, not that its such a huge thing...
  6. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    See how it goes - there are all sorts of factors:

- how many hours of teaching are in your timetable?
    - how long does it take you to do the necessary homework (and also to push on a bit further)?
    - how far will you have to travel (my first year was on campus so everything was only a short walk away)?
    - do you need to hold down a job in addition to your studies?

That list could go on but I think it's unlikely you won't be able to find time to keep your bass playing going.

7. yes, everything here is true. i am in college right now, and i can play all i want. you can even find a guitar player and you both can play all you want!
    unless you give yourself a really crappy schedule, you shouldn't have a problem.
    the only problem i have with playing all the time, is that if i spend all my time playing, i don't go out and meet people, which is fun in college!

actually, you can even do both, if you really want to, i can usually practice two hours a day, and still spend time with my friends, (maybe do a little homework), and still be able to get to bed at a decent hour (midnight).

Have fun,
  8. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Are you kidding?
    I havent had this much time since i was in kindergarten :D :smug:
  9. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Dude, playing bass is how I'm making money while I'm in college.

I wonder if I could start giving lessons? :D