1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Playing Bass Upside Down?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by itswac, Mar 16, 2010.

1. itswac

itswac

Nov 24, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Endorsing Artist/Product Line Manager: Source Audio Effects
    Check out this video of Quintin Berry. I met him at NAMM in January...at first I thought his playing was just a gimmick, but the more I listened, the more I began to think that as different as it all looked, he has solid technique and a good sound.

Quintin Berry playing "Voodoo Chile"

It turns out he's good friends with Victor Wooten. When I was checking out of my hotel, Vic was right in front of me in line so I brought up Quintin. He vouched for the guy, so that says something.

As cool as that was, I think I'm going to keep my technique the way it is...:bassist:

2. itswac

itswac

Nov 24, 2009
    Boston, MA
  3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    They're both have roots in SE Virginia.
    The first time I saw Berry was in some Beach bar (Kokomo's, IIRC)...I thought he was bored playing Sponge. Then came a DMB tune...man, he kicked it. Once upon a time, Bass Frontiers mag did an article on Berry.

4. noahw1

noahw1

Jul 22, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Interesting.
    Muzz Skillings, formerly of Living Colour, plays upside down but with his left (fretting)hand. I read that when he played with Living Colour they asked him to play traditionally.

5. itswac

itswac

Nov 24, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Anyone know how long he's been around?

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Berry?
    ...he was playing in bar bands around Va. Beach back in the '90s or so.
    I mentioned above, the cover band he was in when I saw him for the 1st time (The Mike Latham Band, IIRC) was playing DMB's "What Would You Say". That album came out in '94...so he's been around for awhile.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2020