Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Playing bass with a pick????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RobertOz, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Hey guys, I never knew that some people use a pick to play bass. I would like to try that just to be able to try something new. If someone has a pick that they would be willing to send me, post here and I'll PM you my address.

Thanks,
    Robert

2. Picks cost like 30 cents. Go buy one.

3. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Yea, no kidding...

I'm supposed to foot the bill for an envelope,, AND a stamp,, AND a pick,,, so you can have 30 cents for free???

4. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    Yeah...go buy one. Plus, I think this one goes in technique.

5. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

If you dont have a music shop around you i will send you one, pm me your address.

6. use the plastic thing that holds your loaf of wonderbread closed.

7. if you just want to try it without spending the 30 cents, go to a guitar shop, ask to try a bass (of your choice) and say to the employee,"darn it i forgot my pick at home, can i borrow one?" 9 times out of ten they will lend you one, unless they are really anal. then you can use a pick to see if you like it...if you do, spend the quarter, it'll be worth it!

Charlie

8. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    don't use picks, let your thumbnail grow and start double-thumbing, tadaaa, natural plectrum :bag:

9. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    the stamp and envelope to mail you a pick would cost more then the actual pick.....just go to the store and buy some, they are cheap, i swear!

10. yeah, if you want crappy tone. everyone knows that the best players use picks made of platinum.

11. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I'm partial to the Dava Control pics... but i haven't used one since.... well since i quit playing with a pic!

12. im speechless......

were the hell were you raised??

13. GreatBlueYeti

GreatBlueYeti

Jun 7, 2004
    I personally prefer using my fingers when I play because I've found I can play faster. But If you want some bassists that play pretty fast with them off the top of my head I think of Blink 182's bassist Mark Hoppus. If ur not fast with ur fingers and think that a pick will help you play faster I wouldn't count on it-lol it didn't work for me. :p
    But dude just practice ur #@$ off and you'll get good and u won't have to worry about askin for.
    -The Yeti :bassist:

14. GreatBlueYeti

GreatBlueYeti

Jun 7, 2004
    lol sorry my bro was messin around with my comp and I couldn't complete the reply the last sentence is supposed to be
    "But dude just practice ur #@$ off and you'll get good and u won't have to worry about askin for a pick or gettin anyone mad by asking for a pick." ;)

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Shoot me a PM and I'll mail ya one. It's totally different, but I'd suggest you go out and buy a small variety (drop a $5 bill on all kinds, colors and shapes) and you'll see what you like.

16. Real men do not use a pick...

But then someone could say that real men do use a pick....

The truth of the matter is that real men use what ever they damn well please.

So the moral is; If you want to use a pick, then be a man and do it (and buy it yourself, can't afford one? Look around on the ground long enough and you will eventually find enough change to buy one)
    If you don't want to use one, then don't. You are not breaking any rule what so ever either way.

17. If you want fast pick playing listen to RAncid's matt freeman , or AFI's Hunter they are way faster than mark hoppus .

oh and back on topic i'd recommend you learn first the walking technique (two fingers ) then learn to pick and finally slap , It's better to learn every style of playing .

18. squire_pwr

squire_pwr

Apr 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    Agreed, j bass kreep. Also, try Green Day's "Panic Song" off Insomniac. That first minute or two will whip you into picking shape real quick! :D

And for RobertOz, like what many others said, just head over to a music store and check out some of the picks. Easy as going to McDonalds and much healthier!

19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I've heard that some people play a Fodera. I would like to try something new. Somebody post in the thread and I will PM you with my address so you can send me one.

20. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Look around on the ground long enough and eventually you'll have enough money to afford...to look at one.