1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Playing benefits. Your thoughts, please.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    i deleted this as I realized I'm simply in a bad mood and it may come back to slap me in the face. :) happy halloween.

2. I think there are many benefits to playing....

Some do it for the ego boost, the extra money, the potential for chicks, enjoyment of producing good music...

Randy

3. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    Do you mean "Benefits", as in free shows?

Personally, I try to avoid those kind of things. My experience has been that people expect the most ridiculous things when they aren't paying! In general, the more they pay the more professional they behave. Where pay approaches $0.00, professionalism is often in a similar range.

4. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    We try to limit them to a few a year. If we happen to know the person being benefitted, we'll bend over backwards, unless we are absolutely booked for another gig.

5. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    Most of the benefits I've played have been professionally run and paid expenses.

6. We used to do all day benefits, brought in a different band every hour. They used our equipment.

They donated their time, since we were there all day, supplied the equipment, we got paid.

We'd tend to reciprocate where possible, and do an hour at their benefits when they would host one.

Randy

7. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    We try to avoid them as some of the wants and needs were way too much.
    One example is they needed the whole band set up by 10 am and we didn't need to play until 9:30 at night. They also wanted someone to be there from 10 am until 9:30 at night to provide a mic or two for people to talk.
    It was a little unreasonable to ask our FOH guy to-spend his entire day there for free.

8. My surf band mostly does benefits if we like the cause. The band exists for fun, not money. However, we avoid setups that ask too much for no pay. Coming in 4 -5 hours early is a no-go.

9. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    this was inititally a rant regarding my having been what I felt was guilted into playing a benefit i really don't want to play. person running it added insult to injury by telling all band members of all the groups participating that they were required to donate $10 each. which I absolutely will not do. no issue with that except for the fact that I took that as an incredible insult to musicians. our time and performance to help raise money isn't enough.

i'll leave it at that so I don't have to delete another post.

i believe the majority of this "benefit" crap has to do more with artist promotion than helping a cause. if i were in a better mood today I'd say, "that's great! everyone benefits." but I'm in a horrible mood. have to do stuff I HATE doing today. and there's no way out.

10. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O)))) Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    We keep "Benefits" to a minimum. Mostly the benefits around here are just disorganized functions that want a Freebie band to play, and we don't do that. Unless there is nothing else happening and we know and like the person setting it up.

11. I agree! That organizer deserves to have a strip torn off them!:mad: What gall!

12. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    I’d be curious to hear the whole rant, haha…

I read your post as you’re not going to fork up the $10; I hope you at least stick to your guns on that.

13. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Getting guilted into doing any gig sucks. The forced additional donation (beyond your time and creativity) sucks.
    Donating your time to support a cause you endorse, and to get exposure to a bigger audience that digs you being there, can be cool. But that doesn't sound like today's situation for you.
    So hang in there. You could be having an IRS audit, or a root canal.
    Rock hard, find an appreciative lass, and then go home.

14. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    not talking about high-profile or outdoor benefits, but IME any benefit taking place in a club only ever benefits one person, namely the clubowner.

15. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I would also refuse to pay the $10.

However, I co-founded a charity band just over a year ago and find it very rewarding. We only do about one gig a month, sometimes fewer, and the quality level is below my other projects, but it doesn't matter because we're doing it for the cause. The audience is usually very appreciative. Frequently we set up the event ourselves, like the next one is a benefit for the local animal shelter, I'm providing the PA and got two friends bands to donate their time, the shelter people are doing the door and all the donation raffles, it's going to be fun and I don't have to argue with the club owner at the end of the night about how many people we brought or how the pay isn't what he promised. I'm lucky to have a good job and my other gigs make money so I'm happy donating music once in awhile.

16. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    There is no chance of not sticking to my guns on that. I'm not donating $10. It's going to cost me around $20 in gas and tolls just to get to the gig.

The guilting part has to do with the fact that the benefit is for a 3 year old kid who needs some type of cancer surgery. Need I say more? Almost seems as if those throwing these kind of benefits get off that type of thing, like this one is a HUGE score. Whose going to say "NO" to helping a 3 year old w cancer?

Last year in the school that I work a woman was asking for donations to help a handful of special ed kids who couldn't afford it, to get to the prom. I knew one of the kids and before she even finished her sales pitch I handed her $5 bucks. She went to write my name down on a list of those who donated, and I told her to leave me off... somehow that takes away the good deed of it for me if it's acknowledged (I know, i'm killin that here, now). Anyhow, I found out shortly after that she was requesting $20 donations, but willing to take whatever anyone would give. I don't even really have a problem with that. What I had a HUGE problem with was that she was badmouthing all the people that weren't interested in donating. "Can you believe these cheap bastards, not willing...". Every day she'd rant about this one or that one. And she was going for the whole deal, for several kids. Prom dresses, beauty salons, manicures, limos. She was on a mission.

I give when it feels right to whom I want to give. Being put in a position where I have to say "no" angers me. Realizing as I write this that that's my problem as I have every right to say no. Bla, bla, bla... yeah... got a phone call.....

17. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Benefits, bottom line, if your in the rght band it's the most fun you can have in the world. I will never get rich or famous from it. I do it because it's a huge part of who I am.

I have been doing this rock band thing for over 40 years. And I've got news for everyone. I have no intention on giving it up.I just plan on getting better. And I say this even though this business has treated me like a piece of %$%# recently.

For a lot of my peers, at 57 years old the thought of being in some stinky back room club getting ready to go on at 11:30 is the last thing in the world they want to do at this point in their lives. For me it's the only thing I want to do and my only true passion in life.

For me, I need and want the attention and if i stopped it would be like a failure to contribute to society.

blue

18. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Problem is, there are zillions of charitable causes, so ya can’t cover them all. I focus on those that touch my world, and if everyone does the same, they’ll all get help.

Go find another sad case, bring it to them and ask for them same enthusiasm they had for their cause and see how anxious they are to donate money labor and hours of their time.

Or maybe be prepared with one for the next time and say “Yeah, I’ll support your cause if you support my equally important cause.”

:)

19. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    My band does a few every year but we choose to do them and enjoy them. We wont let anyone corner us or make us feel guilty if we wont play.

20. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    I would tell the organizer that wants $10 that you guys will be more than happy to donate your entire pay for the show to the cause.... then explain that your average pay is $1000 and hold out your hand. If they say no you should then explain that its for a 3 year old with cancer...... and just shake your head and walk away.