Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Playing blindly... AH! pain

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by alecmcmahon, Feb 18, 2002.

1. yesterday my band had a gig at the birch hill concert hall here in NJ- was our first time playing there, its a pretty popular place so i was really exited.. our time to go set up our stuff... then

my amp is SOOO LOW, i cant even hear it... i didnt know what was wrong at the time.. it was sooo low, and my amp is loud as hell, i put it on 3 and it shakes my drummers house, i had this baby on 10 and couldnt hear anything..

my guess it was the " direct box " that you plug your bass into, and the box goes to the HEad and the PA... ( but they miced the amp to, so i dont know ? )...but anyway.. the dude miced the amp and he just pumped it all the way up on the PA... evreybody else heard it .... but me, i heard nothing....

hah it was pretty weird, having to play a whole set without hearing a damn note your playing...the show went very very well though, lots of fun

anywho, thats my story.... have a good one.

2. I hate situations like this. I always make sure that I can hear myself before a show. I cant imagine the DI box had anything to do with it. Are you sure the acoustics didnt suck, or was your amp really low, when everyone was silent. That sucks man, but thats hwy they invented Monitors;)

3. they had like 15 monites up there on the stage.. but decided not to put them on, sooooooooooooooooo whatever.. i watched the video tape a friend recorded of the show.. bass is coming through fine for audience.. but was weird for me cause i couldnt hear it

4. Monitors good

No monitors bad

always use monitors if you have them

as a sound man, I can tell you it is much better for us and you.

5. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    when i played my largest gig to date at a small amphitheatre (300-500 people), a DI was used for my signal to get to the "control room's" p.a. mixer.

i brought my amp with me, and at first, no sound was coming out of it!

i could *sorta* hear my playing through the p.a. system during rehearsel. luckily, we made it so that we used my amp's DI, and I used my amp as a monitor.

playing "blindly" was extremely awkward and difficult, yet somehow cool. i don't want that to happen again, though.

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Amp DI's are a must for me. that' one reason I really like my Eden. For some reason, I didn't think I'd need an amp when I was recording. I could do it blind. Boy was I wrong. Amps are VERY important when I'm playing. There is no way I could do any sort of blind gigging or recording.