1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Playing By Ear

Discussion in 'Ask Todd Johnson [Archived]' started by spurlob6968, Sep 28, 2009.

1. spurlob6968

spurlob6968

Sep 28, 2009
    What is the best method of practice to help the ear hear the chord changes? I sometimes find myself listening to everyone playing and can not hear the change.

2. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    I learned to play this way 20+ years ago. I would turn on the radio or put on a record and try to follow the song. Eventually you begin to recognize the various relationships between notes (intervals 2nds, 3rds, 4ths, 5ths, 7ths etc in maj, min etc) and what they sound like. when you can hear and recognize these intervals you know what your next note is and where to find it. Maybe you can get some exercise material on this subject to train your ear. I did it naturally without knowing it but later found out what I was really doing.

3. +1
    also check these sites out for ear training, the best way to remember intervals is by using songs to remind you of an interval. eg that wedding song, here comes the bride, the first two notes distance is a perfect 4th. you can find some examples in link 2

http://musictheory.net/

http://trainear.com/

4. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

Sep 27, 2005
    Anthem, AZ
    Hi....

Like the others have said...."just do it"....or I like "just press PLAY"!!!

That will help.....definitely.

Another suggestions is this: If you want to learn to HEAR chord changes...learn to PLAY chord changes.

It's similar to learning a new language. The more new words you learn....the more your recognize.

So with that in mind, I recommend my "Fishin for Grips" book and dvd. You'll need a bass with a high "C"....but it's an EXCELLENT method for learning to hear chord changes.

Another great tip would be to get the best teacher you can find and take some lessons. It's INFINITELY more efficient than trying to figure stuff out on your own.

OK then....I hope this helps.

God Bless,