1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Playing C&W and Oldies Rock with an Ibanez SR?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sammy Camden, Sep 20, 2008.

1. :cool:Is anyone out there playing C&W and Oldies Rock with an Ibanez SR, or maybe an SRX? I was just wondering how well they worked. Ibanez seems to go out of their way to plug their basses for Hard Rock, and its cousins, that's why I'm asking the question.

I'd also like to get a lighter bass than the Fender Ps and Js. I've also been playing them for so long that it also might be nice just to try something a little different. You know, variety being the spice of life, and all that theory.

I understand that Ibanez basses are supposed to be quite good. And the SR (SRX) seems to be a real big seller.

Thanks.

2. Thundar

Thundar Living in sin at the Holiday Inn

I used to play an Ibanez SR885 in a country/rock band for years...it sounded fantastic and had a ton of B@lls ...thru an Ampeg SVT3 and 15" Ampeg Isovent cab, no less.....PA? who needs a PA?

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I played an Ibanez SRX 300 for a year with an oldies rock band a couple years ago. It worked great. Much easier to play 4 sets a night than my Fender P. Better neck, balance and weight and with a little bit of eq on a good amp you can get a great sound. The SRX 690 (the latest top SRX model) is even better. Definitely worth considering if you don't mind paying a bit more. Sometimes you can find a used SRX 700 and they are worth getting.

Ibanez makes some good sounding basses. I know that they promote them as hard rock basses, but they work very well for other styles.

Carol Kaye has been using the SRX 700 for years now and loves it. She still can get just as good a sound with it as she did on all the hit records she played on using a P bass. She'd never consider going back to a Fender.

The Ibanez would work perfectly fine for C&W too.

4. thunder-pick

thunder-pick

Jun 9, 2005
    I have 4 SR basses and I play classic rock, new rock, blues, country and even some reggae. They work well for any style. For my money the SR series have some great basses and they are fairly lightweight. I love the fast, slim neck, I don't have long fingers so they feel good in my hands. The bottom line is play whatever bass you feel comfortable with.

5. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    You can play any music on any bass, some are better suited to different styles. Look at Albert King playing blues on a Flying V ! I know not a bass player but the best example I could think of.

6. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    I agree 100% what does it matter what instrument or style it is.. Just play and have fun..

There is one hardcore death metal band cant think of the name the lead gui**** plays a tele LOL..

7. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Jimmy Page used to only use Telecasters. :cool:

8. :cool:Thanks for the inputs guys! I appreciate it.

I'm not so much worrying about the physical part of playing one of the SR series basses, I like the way they feel. The basses, from what little bit I've played around with them in the store, feel nice on the hands, and judging by the weight, would feel nice on the back, shoulders, and neck as well. That's why I'm considering buying one. However, I was really only concerned about the sound, and that's why I asked the question.

I remember one time a few years ago, I was in a really nice Rock-a-Billy band. Our lead guitar player came to a gig one night with a Jackson. I'm here to tell you that no matter what he tried, it just didn't sound right. He managed to get the sound passable, but not right. Some instruments just don't work for some music.

So, I'm not interested in buying a nice bass that I can't fit with the music. I've gone through that to often before.

Thanks again. I do believe that there is an SR in my future, soon.

9. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    Sammy the Ibanez is very versatile and can dial in a huge array of tones, I guess what I was saying is just have fun with the Ibanez it will do what its supposed to do..

gui****s are a bit different then bass, Jacksons are known for hot over wound highly aggressive pickups.. That was the issue there.. If he dropped say a set of nice vintage based Humbuckers in that guitar it wouldnt of been a problem..

10. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

It doesn't matter what kind of music you play. Any bass will work. Some are more suited to certain styles than others, by virtue of their looks and styling more than their functionality. It really doesn't matter what bass you use. Forget the marketing, buy what you like and think sounds good, not what some ad tells you to buy because "it's made for X" type of music.

11. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I used an SR885 for country and classic rock for about 8 years and it worked fine. I did replace the pups with EMGs though. Mine was the older vesion with the two J style pickups. I acidentally knocked it over one day and cracked the headstock and that was the end of that bass. I think they've changed the SR basses since then, different electronics and I think they also made the body a little smaller.
    You can hear me playing that bass on these songs.
    http://www.myspace.com/thetwanggangusa