Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Playing chords on 6 String BASS :

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by marcusmiller, Nov 10, 2003.

1. marcusmiller

marcusmiller

Oct 26, 2003
    ABOUT 6 STRING BASSES :
    ----Can i put E-A-D-G-B-E strings like guitar order instead of B-E-A-D-G-C ?????????
    ---I know 6 strings are great for soloing but would it be cool if i put very light gauge strings and play chords on it like guitar as well ?

PS:
    I want to buy a 6 string bass guitar but i live in Turkey so i can not have a ucstom made one.
    I want very small frets and strings CLOSE to easch other (like STEINBERGER bass guitars)
    What brands do u suggest me ?

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Dude-
    Sounds like you want a Fender VI...a "true" bass guitar that dates back to the '60s(Jack Bruce sometimes played one; John Lennon, too).
    Anyway, it's strung EADGBE(as a guitar)...not sure of the gauge. I'll look for a pic.

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
  4. marcusmiller

marcusmiller

Oct 26, 2003
    Waow
    i ve seen this before on the fender catalog.
    God i wish i could find one in where i live in Turkey ! Impossible
    Let me ask you : If i put very high gauge strings
    to my Epiphone Dot ( hollow body electric)
    do u think i would get close ???

5. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    I tune my 6 strings B-E-A-D-G-C so that everything is in 4ths and the patterns for scales, triads, chords, 3rd, etc, are the same all across the neck. I use .130 - .045 strings, and I play chords ALL the time. I really like the sound of chords on a bass. Once you get used to it, it is no big deal.

:^)~

6. marcusmiller

marcusmiller

Oct 26, 2003
    Bass Kahuna =
    i dont know much about gauge names so
    ".130 - .045 strings" are very light strings ?
    Also : Do you only play 3 note chords or can u use most of the strings like on guitar or does it sound silly when u play 4 note chords or more ?
    Do u think i can play chords on bass and sing
    2 hours in a pub and ppl would be bored with the sound ? (if i use EQ-sometimes pick-if i play arpeggiate like guitars sometimes )

7. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    .45 - 105's are "medium" strings.

Here is my opinion of "gauge names":

(note, this is with stainless steel strings)
    035 - 095 : Extra ligth, "funk master", thin sound
    040 - 100 : Ligth, a bit lifeless sound
    045 - 105 : Medium, a steady, thick tone, though stiff
    050 - 110: Heavy. Very thumpy and thick sound, very stiff.
    055 - 115 : Extra heavy. Almost impossible to "modulate". Sounds VERY bassy.

Sorry for my bad english, im very tired :D

Cheers!
    -Erlend

8. I'm living in Turkey as well
    Are you sure, you can't have custom made basses here in Turkey? At least HAVE YOU EVER SEARCHED for some luthiers?

I had a 6 string bass custom made here in Istanbul just 2 months ago and it's plays like a dream...

BTW Numbers you see, are the dimensions (string diameter) given in inch, 1 inch = 25,4 mm

--> .45 (which means 0,045 inch = 1,143 mm)

9. marcusmiller

marcusmiller

Oct 26, 2003
    Mr. M
    Maybe from Murat Sezen who asks for a lot of money. Yüksel who makes u wait too long.
    Who else ? Who made ur bass ?
    Do you play in a band ?
    Are you a hobbyist ?
    What style do you play ? Which bass artists do u listen to mostly ?
    It is good to know someone from the same place.
    Maybe we can exchange ideas.
    do u have an email adrress thatu can pass on ?

10. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Take it to PM ~mod.

11. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Very light strings, small frets, EADGBE tuning...how about just getting an electric guitar? It sounds like you're intending to play it as a guitar, so that would be the cheap, quick, off the shelf route!

You could definitely tune a six string bass starting from a low E instead of the B below and with the major third (rather than perfect fourth) jump between the G and B... but it would potentially be a hassle finding custom strings for the B and especially the high E... probably cheaper in the long run to buy a guitar and an octave pedal.

As Bass Kahuna said, there's no reason why you can be perfectly happy playing chords on a standard tuned six string bass... which is the route I also take.

Wulf

12. Whoever is the luthier, in general you have to wait a long time for the delivery. I had Rýfat to build the bass. You can find my fav bassists in my profile.

13. marcusmiller

marcusmiller

Oct 26, 2003
    wulf =
    you are totalyy right.
    I decided to buy a nylon stringed-electric.
    Why nylon ? Because with other guitars i can not get a FAT - LOW - BASSY chord sound.
    When i play solo (one-man band) and sing - i will add some wah and chorus to add some spice to my sound.
    Now i am lookin for an auto-wah and a chorus pedal that will go well with my bass + nylon guitar as well. EBS ? BOSS ? E-H ? MXR ?
    What do u suggest me ?

14. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Whatever you can try out locally. If you exhaust all the options there, the worldwide community might be able to help.

On the other hand, I'm happy with my Zoom 505II, so what do I know :D

Wulf

15. Don't kill me guys. But isn't all he's asking easily done by just taking a regular guitar and buying an octave pedal? There's your tuning, spacing on strings, chord abilities, and accessibility.

16. TravellinMan

TravellinMan

Jan 11, 2003
    NW Indiana
    THeir is a pic of Jack Bruce bass on back cover of Disrali Gears" not a good pic tho"

Take care
    TM