1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Playing Chords on a Dingwall?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CraigG, Jun 8, 2007.

1. CraigG

CraigG

Mar 14, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    The fanned fretboard fascinates me and it seems those who have played it enjoy it. However, I'm wondering if it's the same, easier or more difficult to play chords on a fanned fretboard?

Thanks,
    Craig

2. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Inactive

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Easy on everything below about the 14th fret.
    Above that takes some trying. :)

3. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Some people claim to not be able to make certain chords high up on the board, but I've not encountered this. Maybe my chords arent as complicated as theirs hehe.

4. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Inactive

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    I was able to do 'em all, I just had to hike up my bass a little bit more and pay REALLY close attention! ;)

5. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    So if you get a 6 string, it's even better? :)

6. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner Commercial User

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner
    Not really hard just different. The sonic benefits are worth it.

If you're doing a root/fifth/2nd chord up high the stretch is actually less.

But really, I'm never asked to occupy that much sonic space. "Trading My Sorrows" is pretty much the only song w/lots of 2 note chords.

Try chords on a FFretless, now that's fun.

7. I have small hands, and find it easier on the dingwall. I don't own one, but grew up next to HEL music in Saskatoon which stocked them before being shipped to wealthy americans, so I've gotten to play on my fair share. I just find it more ergonomic to the position of the hand as you move up and down the fretboard.

8. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I've had the same experience. I'd rather play chords on a Dingwall than on any parallel fretted bass. Of course, I'm also in the "my chords are probably simpler than yours" camp.

9. CraigG

CraigG

Mar 14, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback. I've not had a chance to get my hands on a DW (yet). Played some other high end basses a couple weeks ago and had a blast. Would like to try a DW one of these days.

Craig

10. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    While it may have seemed I was refering to you since we were the only two replies, I was actually refering to Michael Dimin and some others like him. He says some of the chords he does arent possible on a fanned fret. But then people like Jaquo-IIIx say they have no problems, so not sure what the deal is. At any rate, I havent found a chord thats not possible to play well on the Dingwall or my fanned Skjold for that matter.

11. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Inactive

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    No prob. :)

I wish I could get me a fanned Modulus... :eek:

12. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I've been thru this many times on the Dingwall forum. IMO/IME fingering 3 note chords above the 12th is significantly harder on a 5-string Dingwall, although it's easier down low. It's definitely doable, but the ergonomics are tighter and tougher for me than on a parallel fretted bass. The irony is that pretty much any chord you play will ring clearer on a Dingwall IME, ESPECIALLY chords played relatively low (ie between frets 7 and 12). In my case I play 3 or 4 solo chordal arrangements for fun/party tricks, and I do 'em on a parallel-fret bass. If chords are a major part of what you do, only a test drive'll tell. Many others on the Dingwall forum have no chordal issues whatsoever.

13. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Just check it out for yourself and see what happens from there,I play a 6 string Dingwall and every chord that I play on a none fanned fretted bass I can play on a Dingwall.

14. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    The only time chords are harder on a Dingwall is if you are tapping them with your right hand. Right-handed chord tapping requires that you overbend your wrist compared to a striaght fretted bass. Not impossible, not overly difficult, but a bit more difficult than tapping chords on a regular bass.

However, if you are fretting the chords with your left hand, the Dingwall is quite ergonomic and comfy to chord with. You may have to look down at your hands jsut to make sure they are in the right spot, but, its much easier on your left hand and wrist.

15. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    That is surely not the case for every one.

16. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    I find just as easy (if not easier) to play two hand tapping chordal stuff on my Dingwalls. And I do it high and low on the fretboard. Please note that I am nowhere close to Jaquo in terms of abilities

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2021