Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

playing chords

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Jimbo, Jun 2, 2002.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    hey everyone. i know this question has been brought up before, but i couldn't find anything when i did the search.

so here it is....playing chords with 3 or 4 notes on the bass. i really don't know how to do it. i know arpegios and don't see how i could play the chords. i would guess there would be certain positioning to perform chords and i would really like to know more about it so i can broaded my playing. any info would be greatly appreiciated. thanks in advance

-jimbo

2. Slap_Thatb_Ass

Slap_Thatb_Ass

Mar 17, 2002
    A CMaj triad on bass could be played as this:

Code:
    G|--0--
    D|--2--
    A|--3--
    E|-----

To actually sound the notes, you could strum, slap, or pop, to get the strings ringing.

Arpeggios are notes of chords, and if you play all the apreggios' notes at the same time, you play a chord.

3. I like to play mine like jazz guitarists that play finger style or with my thumb and id strum it. some chords I normally use are like the following (pay attention to the patterns and not the notes):

D major
    G----2----
    D----4----
    A----5----
    E---------
    D minor
    G----2----
    D----3----
    A----5----
    E---------
    D sus
    G----2----
    D----5----
    A----5----
    E---------
    D aug
    G----3----
    D----4----
    A----5----
    E---------

...and the list goes on, but youll learn them better if you just figure em out yourself by knowing the scale degrees that are used.

4. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    i use thumb on the lowest string, index, middle and ring fingers on top most strings. sometime i strum fingers up the strings.

To fret the chord I usually keep it to three notes, or maybe three notes and a harmonic if possible. I find more than 3 notes go a bit muddy.

5. ahpook

ahpook

Jul 13, 2001
    don't forget your basic 5th or power chords...

G--5
    D--5
    A--3
    E--x

G--5
    D--3
    A--3
    E--x

obviously they limit the compexity of the chords you can play, but they sound great and are moveable feasts

and your E shapes

G--4
    D--5
    A--5
    E--x

and the all important drones.

G---7
    D---0
    A---5
    E---x

these are what i tend to use...or partial chords (double stops mainly)...

...scares the **** out of the guitarist i play with.