Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

playing clean notes ? need help

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by giallos, Jan 9, 2003.

1. giallos

giallos

Dec 29, 2002
    i just bought my first bass and i am a bit confused as to how you get clean notes with out any sustain , say for example ,

DUM DUM DU DUM DUM
    instead of DUMmm DUMmmm

can u see what i mean by this

is it just technique or the guitar ?
    ron
    a confused beginner

2. if you don't want sustain, mute the string with your fingers. keep playing. you'll learn.

3. If you want short notes that dont ring too much, apart from working on your technique, as DHClasher said, you could try using flatwound strings, or alternatively, put a block of foam under the strings right up against the bridge.

4. you can stop a note from sustaining by lifting the finger you're fretting with, just enough so that the string doesnt touch the fretboard, without taking your finger off the string completely, just taking away any force you've applied, so your finger just rests on the string. do this whenever you want the note to end. you can practise this by playing a note, letting it "ring" for a set about of time, then doing what i said above. but honestly, practice makes perfect (as much as i hate to admit it!!)

J.

5. i think that as a beginner he should stay away from flatwounds and foam, and learn to play on roundwounds, because they don't hide finger noise and will force you to play with cleaner technique.

6. Fishface

Fishface

Jul 26, 2002
    Denver, Colorado
    Technique!!!! It does take practice.

Lift off your fretting finger to release the strings from the frets but do not remove your fingers. It does give more muting if you have more than one finger on the strings. Sometimes one finger will allow some harmonics to get thru & you will still hear some ringing notes.

Don't rely on gear to compensate for lack of technique. It's not the bass, it's you.

We are all there on some level. ;)

7. i agree totally with this, the most important thing to learn in the beginning is the technique, rather than anyways, to avoid getting good technique!! concentrate on doing it right without getting anything to help you (except TB of course ;))

J.

8. yeah, and dont forget about Harmony Central Bass Forum :eek: :oops:

9. giallos

giallos

Dec 29, 2002
    thanks alot guys
    i needed to know what was goin on ,
    so its down to practise eh , well i better get playing then ,

:p
    so flatwounds are a type of string that dampens the sound so to speak ?
    i will concentrate on playing first , till i get to grips with the bass then il look at other alternatives

thanks again
    ron

10. chris griffiths

chris griffiths

Aug 20, 2002
    nashville tn
    Endorsing artist: Gallien Krueger
    Try the rocco prestia way. play with your first finger and mute by laying your other fingers over the strings gently and not pushing down in front of them. Hey there is a rocco prestia instructional video tape out and there is some good muting stuff in there

11. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    Thats what I do most of the time for muting like giallos is talking about.

12. Practice slower, give yourself time to feel the notes. Think about what you are doing. Have fun.

13. Your bass probably came with roundwound strings; those are the most common type today. Flatwounds, in general, have a somewhat duller, thumpier sound with less sustain. (Basically, something you're not going to have to worry about at all right now; just an option for later).

About stopping the strings from ringing, just do what everyone else said, and the most important part is to go slowly at first. This'll become automatic before you even realize it, and if you get lessons a decent teacher should be able to help you with any specific problems that they can see.

14. when you've plucked a note on a string, with a finger (eg Index), mute it with your other finger (eg middle) inmediately after it has ringed.

15. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Are you playing open strings or are you playing fretted strings(IE: are you holding the string down just behind a fret or playing the string without holding it down)? And, are you striking the strings using your thumb, fingers, or a pick to make the string ring out?

16. giallos

giallos

Dec 29, 2002
    im playing freted strings , i pluck the strings with my thumb and fret em with the other 4 fingers ,

i guess i will just have to take it slow , i need to print out these tips so i can read em on while i play , also , finger noise is a bitch , i tried recording some of my playing and all i could here is my fingers scraping off the strings ,lol:(
    sounded great as you could imagine !

thanks for so much help , i appreciate it :D

17. chris griffiths

chris griffiths

Aug 20, 2002
    nashville tn
    Endorsing artist: Gallien Krueger
    finger noise could partially be your action and hand strength. fret buzz and what not can be prevented with a correct action for what your hand strength and dexterity is. for intance because I play pretty hard and have strong hands my action is fairly High. practice moving across the fretboard with all 4 fingers putting them down 1-2-3-4 then moving down a string or up a fret or both and doing it again. when you get to the top do it backwards. make sure every note is clean take your time be patient really listen train your hands to make every note like a ringing crystal. as far as noise in your plucking hand. try plucking near the first joint of your finger or near the nail as close as you can get. both of these ought to help you. and get that Rocco tape !!! :)

18. try plucking with your index and middle fingers. hardly anyone uses the thumb anymore, at least as their primary technique...

19. giallos

giallos

Dec 29, 2002
    no body plays with there thumb any more ?
    is this some underground bass law which i dont know about ?:confused:

20. no, it's just a general trend. i recommend following it. you can't play fast if you pluck with your thumb, and skipping from string to string is harder.