Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

playing confidence?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by nate 0 jt, Sep 15, 2001.

1. I have problems with my confidence levels especially when slapping...the other people in my band and some people I jam with say that they really like it when I slap, but to me it doesn't sound good...maybe it's just because I suck and they are just trying to be nice or maybe I am better that I think I am...Has anyone had/have this problem, if so how did you deal with it? Thanks...Nate

2. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    To gain confidence takes time - first of all, practice practice practice. Make sure you can do it first - there's nothing worse than playing something badly in public, when you could have practised and made it better. When you start jamming with people, play with people you know well, who are your friends, and would give you true and honest criticism or praise. Sometimes we can be too hard on ourselves, but also sometimes we need to know the truth when we think we are playing well but are not.

We all go through periods where our confidence goes up and down - it's life. Don't let fear hold you back from playing though.

3. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    Yeah thats exactly right. Its really good to play infront of people so you get used to everyones eyes staring at you. Then when you have a gig itll be like a band practice to you. So try to have some non band member friends come and watch your band play.

4. paski

paski

Sep 2, 2001
    Split, Croatia
    Yeah that's a great idea. My band does it alot and you won't be so nervous when you play on a real gig.

5. LWatford

LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL
    Like everyone else has said, it just takes time. I have struggled with this since I started playing. My teachers have always said to go out and play like you <B><U>ARE</U></B> a professional. If you think you are going to mess up, you will. If you make mistakes, just keep going, most of the time people will not know you messed up.

I wish I could follow my own ideas!:)
    Lee

6. No one can give you confidence, you have to acquire it yourself. All it takes is *knowing* that you are damn good