Playing Country

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by The Golden Boy, Mar 15, 2005.

1. I play rock. I've always played rock. I listen to rock. I rock.

Yesterday a friend presented me with an opportunity to play bass in a country band. This is a well established band with a lot of gigs, and the money would be really good. I don't know country, I don't listen to country, for the most part it's kind of irritating to me. But the money would be really good.

The friend who presented this to me is a 70's rock dude. Full on denim jacket, Head East fan club kinda guy. But for the past several years he's been in a few successful country bands. He gave me two pieces of advice:

"Dude, you don't have to be a cowboy, you just have to play one in the band."

"Dude, I've been playing country for 11 years, and I've only hated it for 9."
  2. Is it "new" country? That's just pop music. ;)

Hey, if yer into it, why not? If the pay's good, why not?
  3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Modern country sounds like 70s rock anyway so you shouldn't have a problem with it.
  4. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I can be kinda of a jazz snob at times, although I love classic blues rock, motown etc. But you know what, If someone offered me a good (paying) country gig I'd jump on it. First the best rock gutiar players in the world are playing in country bands, second most of the songs are about more then money and cars (the bling), third, have you seen the women in a country bar lately? Jump on it dude, just don't get distracted by the scenery when your playing those root-fifths!!
  5. Pop music with a drawl. :p

Don't get me wrong- I'll play the hell outta Sister Golden Hair or Amie...

Everything I've heard about the primary band members is nothing but good. But the material...

The last time I whored myself out for money I did a nu-metal band. I did it for a long time and I hated it- the guys were great I just couldn't stand the music any longer.
  6. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    just remember, my son....

root 5th root 5th root 5th root 5th
  7. Yeah man, and make it bounce. ;)

Dude, you're such a ho' already, have at it! ;)

That's quite the quandry you have there.... :bassist:
  8. +1 !

I have to agree 100%

I don't know why, but the women you meet at a country bar/dance, always seem a little nicer (personality-wise) on average than at other dances.

At least that's how I see it.

Mike ;)
  9. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Give it a shot. If you don't like it, you can always quit...
  10. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I've done it. It's not so bad. And some of the music grows on you...some, anyway.

But get really, really solid on your time. There are a lot of moments when the drums are gone and you are the only timekeeper and it's all about the one. At least that's what happened in my situation.
  11. I'd jump on a good-paying country gig much faster than on a nu-metal gig.

Country chicks are cool and cute. Baseball cap-wearing, Honda Civic-driving nu-metal kids annoy the Hell out of me.
  12. fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    + pontiac sunfires , grand prix' , and subaru drivers are in a "class"
    by themselves , hate 'em.
  13. :D

Mike :cool:
  14. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I've been playing in a New Country parody band for the past 12 Summers now? Geez...time flies.
    I 'knew' all the people in this group...a couple were pretty known on a local level(when they played in Rock bands). Early on, I got hassled all the time..."C'mon, 'Jaco', Country music is supposed to be simple".
    The co-leader once asked me, "Do you even bother to learn the tunes"?
    My answer? "I learn the feel & changes & go from there". That's the way I usually did it...some nights I could be 'on', others not; tell you what, we did not sound like any of the typical local New Country bands(& the keyboardist/violinist was a child prodigy on both instruments. His big fiddle solo would sound like an homage to Hendrix. We should he have all the fun?).

In any event, I'm amazed they kept asking me back. Must be my personality. ;)

Anyway, over the years I have toned it down(I must be getting lazy in my old age).
    As far as Root-5; we are more "Rock" than "Yee-Haw Country"; we used to do a parody of "PLay The Funky Music"...I did play Root-5 over that chorus. ;)

Anyhoo, I agree with everyone else's comments...
    It can be is mostly Pop music bass; many tasteful bassists are making these records coming outta Nashville(Willie Weeks, David Hungate, Glenn Worf, Joe Chemay, Mike Rhodes, Dave Pomeroy, etc).

I can't complain about the pay or how I'm treated(good eats backstage)...the crowds do show up. The goils are, on a whole, muy cute in their boots, jeans, & T-shirts(I can do without the hats, though).
  15. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Dann Huff is one that comes to mind. He's a fantastic Rock player that has been playing outta Nashville for a few years now.
    Bassist Dan Brignardello(?) played with Huff in Giant. IIRC, Brignardello has/is played with Marty Stuart?
  16. FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    I knew that was coming.
  17. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Looks like you better start listening to some country eh? :p

I've played in and for a few country bands. I happen to like country. The crowd is a little more down to earth than at a rock gig, the pay is better, and the woman at most of the gigs had a lot more class.

You'll find that at country gigs you're running into all walks of life from the well to do businessman, doctors, lawyers, nurses, to laborors, truckers, and just plain redneck hicks.
  18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yep, the second I saw this thread, I though, "Bow chicka bow chicka bow chicka bow."