Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Playing Covers"

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mjw, Nov 15, 2002.

1. mjw

mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    Pardon the presumably elementary question, but what do people mean when they say "We mostly play covers" for, clubs, weddings, etc...?

Thanks.

2. Not do your own original music.

"Covering" other's music, i.e., popular tunes.

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Covers - a song originally written and performed by another artist. Typically covers are well known songs that the anticipated crowd can relate to easily although some bands will pull out obscure album tracks instead. You've also got the choice of how you interpret them - from note for note accuracy to casting into a completely different style.

Bands choose to have a certain mixture of covers vs originals - including all of one or the other.

Wulf

4. Hence splitting up bands into 2 catagories....

Originals Bands.. Broke Dreamers and Artists looking for the big break or looking for self expression

Cover Bands... Working stiffs who want to make some cash and have a good time playing thier instrument...unless you are in a wedding band playing the "macarana and the chicken dance" but then magnify Making cash by 3 or 4 but scratch the Playing for fun aspect...

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    What I love about covers is it's like playing pretend, you can pretend your Lynyrd Skynyrd, or you can pretend your Steppenwolf. For one shining moment, all those drunken idiots will think you're John Entwistle... that's right, keep on dancing... FOOLS!!!!

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Originals bands ~ musicians who cannot play well enough to learn covers, so play horrible two-chord head-banger thingies to people so loaded they think it's music.

Except for jt, of course.

7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    :D :D

LMAO!!!

8. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Sort of off the topic, but my bands do covers in an original fashion... which is nothing new, but it makes covers fun.

One band takes songs that were cool (sorta) and rocks them out harder (Runnin down a dream, Dancin With Myself, Word Up). It's also fun to change genres a bit.

The other band makes covers funkier (If 6 was 9, Come together).

And our latest move is a fun one... we kept hearing "Freebird" from people... and lets face it, it's not cool anymore (yeah that's right, rednecks). So we're gonna turn it into a God-Awful rendition, either punk rock or funky (and "funky" Skynard would definitely spin Van Zant in his grave).

So "COVERS" can be not only mimicking someone's song, but interpreting it in a different way. Maybe slightly... maybe extremely, take your pick.
    Other Bonus: People who were just talking during original songs will put down the cell phone and start to listen if they like that cover :mad:

9. I'm thinking of starting a Korn-cover band.

Can I get an AMEN?.......

10. mjw

mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    Thanks, everyone. I suspected that, but really wasn't sure.

11. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

NO. Not from me. There are already too darned many Korn cover bands.:D

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

LOLlolLolLol... bUt hOwW dew you gIT yEr baZZ 2 sOUnd lIkE fIeLDY? :confused: :confused: LOLOLlolLol.

13. mjw

mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    But Y would U want it to sound like that???!!!:D :D :D (ROTFLMAO!)

14. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    3 words.... Ball Peen Hammer

15. Korn cover/tribute band is in the works. We just ordered some Converse All-Stars and some hockey jerseys. This is gonna ROCK!!!

16. Ummmm....were'nt all covers once originals?

17. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I thought you need A.D.I.D.A.S. for that... ;)

18. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Absolutely - it's part of the definition (eg "Covers - a song originally written and performed by another artist").

Wulf

19. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Sometimes, the absolute joy of doing a "cover" tune is to trash it up so much as to make it virtually un-recognizable.

The most famous band for doing this...."Shockabilly!"

But on the other hand, some songs are just fun to play.

20. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    LOL! :D But I'm confused.... why exclude jt?:confused:
    Some drunk idiot (actually one of my brothers who was not drunk :) ) at my wedding a few weeks ago was yelling "Freebird".:mad: The (incredible) band we had played an ingenious combination of "Freebird" and "Baby I Love Your Way" by Peter Frampton. They are the same progression in the verse and they kept switching between singing the two songs. It was absolutely brilliant and every musician in the room (I have a very musical family - 8 kids all musicians) was impressed.