Playing during a power failure!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Jazzin', Apr 20, 2005.

1. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Today, my highschool bigband went touring two more elementary schools. We do this to advertise our music program to children graduating from elementary going into HS. There is no Jr. High in Quebec. So when we arrive at the second school, there is no power, probably because it is raining. We set up everything anyways, just incase the power would come back on before we start, but it didn't. So we came up with a solution. We used the truck which we use to carry all the instruments and equipment to power the amps and PA using a converter. It worked. But, a few times during the show, the bass amp shut itself off, and I had to turn it back on in the middle of songs.Also, I couldn't raise the volume too high on it either.

Anyways, the kids liked us, and it was successful. Has anyone ever played during a power outage/failure? What solutions did you come up with?
  2. Vysous

Mar 29, 2005
    Wasnt it dangerous??
    I would never connect my amp to Truck-made power :eyebrow:
  3. We had a jam session planned one night, and during the first set of the first band, power went out. A generous soul lent us a powerful generator and the party went on! :)
  4. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

It's ok, it wasn't my amp, it was the schools, and our music teacher/conductor didn't seem to care or be worried.
  5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Fond memory of Bradleys - Kenny Barron and Red Mitchell are playing and the power goes out in the middle of a tune. Doesn't faze either of them, they keep playing and finish the set as well.

That's the nice thing about playing acoustic instruments.
  6. dodgy_ian

Apr 9, 2001
    Newcastle, UK
    we did a show at a school once (Les Mis) and the band were in a different room with a video link to the conductor. Somehow the power tripped and we were plunged into darkness and couldnt see the conductor and the videolink failed. I've never heard a band so spectauarly grind to a halt in such an awful ear-paining 20seconds!

they got the power back on and we continued and it tripped again!!!

Somehow we manged to finish the show as it didnt trip after that, but the MDand the director were having total mares!!!
  7. Corbis

Corbis Guest

Feb 19, 2003
    Wamego KS
    Weird my Jazz band too just got done doing a school "tour". No power failers..but there was no air conditioning in half the schools. It was HOT.
  8. I saw an ABBA tribute band once (don't ask) who were playing a private function in a marquee in a field. On their last but one number the power died on them. Lights, amps, keyboards, PA, everything went off. They stopped for about a minute to see if the power would come back on, but it didn't. When it didn't they grabbed candles from the tables, got everyone to huddle up close to the stage and still finished the song with acoustic guitar and three part harmonies. Class act. Most folks would just have abandoned ship.
  9. jpo259

Feb 2, 2005
    Corona, CA
    The city of Carlsbad, CA decided they needed to do some electrical work on a SATURDAY NIGHT a few weeks ago. We play Tom Giblins' Irish Pub every Saturday, and Tom Giblins is on the block that had to have power shut off from 8:30pm untill 2:00am!!! So...............the manager at Tom Giblins arranged for some generators to be available, and he and his staff set up white christmas light strings throughout the bar and even put out candles!!! It turned out to be a very cool evening!! We had power for our full set of equip./PA, and there was just enough light in the place to mingle and serve!!
  10. fenwickbacker

Jun 12, 2004
    New Orleans
    We've lost power a few times over the years, but it's not a problem. We have a four piece horn section and they usually begin playing Dixieland and Brass band standards. The rest of us sing along, grab tamborines and second-line around the venue.

It's actually pretty fun. It is a perk to being in New Orleans.
  11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Not exactly, but Im running my power amp way beyond its specs and so it goes into protect mode several times durring a set on most nights and does the same at practice. I still have a direct signal going to FOH, but its not enough for the band to hear me correctly considering the delay of the echoed sound and the lack of any bass in the monitors of the clubs we play.
  12. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    That's what we do. People love it. They see the power go out and they see their night out ending abruptly. Anything you can do to revive it is usually appreciated. They generally sing along louder than the acoustic guitar so it's a wonder they can even hear us. But they're having fund and that's what counts.

Though I do remember one recording session where a storm blew in just as we were finishing dialing in the drums. The power went out in the middle of the first count in. We waited a while before the producer and the drummer, both of whom were golf enthusiasts, suggested we hit the driving range down the road. Best golf lessons I've ever had.

We eventually made it back to the studio and still had no power, so we decided to call it a day and arange another time for recording. Guess what? The power came back on just as we were packing the last of out equipment into the van. So of course it forces us to make a decision - do we set it all up again, or do we go home and try again another time?