1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Playing electric bass like an upright

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by OldDog52, Aug 3, 2012.

1. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Found a thread specific to electric guitar, not bass...

So there's this 60s group The Peddlers that I'd never heard of until their cover of "On a Clear Day You Can See Forever" was featured on Breaking Bad.

2. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    I went to a club once that the band was playing reggae. The bassist was on a chair and the bass was on a support in front of him, playing like an upright.

3. Curious, was that band called the Slackers? Great bass player, he's got a vox and always plays on a chair in upright position

4. I remember years ago we were at a family get-together, and being from a family of musicians, everybody brought something to play. One of my uncles had a P-Bass, and my Dad played it. Now, my Dad was an upright player for years, and he just couldn't get used to the P, so he put it on a kitchen chair, got down on his knees, and played it like an upright! Too funny, it cracked everybody up! :D

5. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    I would love to have the option to do this on some gigs.

6. There's this group:

Not quite upright, but as close as I've seen anyone with a strap play. (I like his sound too!!)

7. Just out of interest early versions of the Gretsch country gentleman bass came with an extendable pin so it could be played as either upright or on a strap.

8. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    I don't belive is the band you're talking about. I saw them here in Brazil.

9. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    The early Gibson EB1 came with the option of making them upright
    [​IMG]

10. Herbie 80's

Herbie 80's

Dec 15, 2008
    Why don't you just learn to double? Playing an EB like that can't be good for the wrist.. double basses are made like they are for a reason, and part of that is ergonomics. And it's not like playing it upright does anything for your 'tone' other than making you look a bit silly.

11. Demonjrx

Demonjrx

May 30, 2012
    United States
    Are there any other basses that can be used like that? That is pretty neat.

12. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Ampeg also made one with some sort of fiberglass or plastic type body.

13. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    Well, there are occasionally gigs for me that are at a jazz club or cabaret that is a tight space and it would be a cool variation.

14. leftiebass

leftiebass

Oct 17, 2009
    Bill Wyman - Rolling Stones - especially in early days.

15. leftiebass

leftiebass

Oct 17, 2009
    Bill Wyman - Rolling Stones - especially in early days.

Attached Files:

16. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Your first second choiceâ„¢ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Wow, why have a never heard of The Peddlers? I'm really digging this clip.

- Steve

17. 66Atlas

66Atlas

May 19, 2012
    Tom Peterson in the video for "Dont be Cruel" but never saw him do it live.

18. Shinedown's Live In Kansas Acoustic Show, Eric Bass had his Deans on Snare Stands and was playing them in an upright-like fashion.

Liam

19. Brunny Brunel is the closest I can think of. He has his strap buttons positioned so the bass when standing is in a nearly vertical positions compared to a regular bass.

20. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    Also his signature Carvin Bass was designed to take that position. I had one for almost 6 years and since the bottom of the bass is so wide, it just angle itself like that.