playing face up

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Aug 29, 2003.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi all, just a funny story to relate.

I was playing at a dive bar the other day, and the place was packed. There was a small aisle right in front of the band, where people were walking to get from the bar to the phone/bathroom/backdoor. I was occupying my usual front line position, and the drummer's monitor was directly behind me.

So this drunk chic starts staggering through the aisle, and sure enough, crashes right into me. We're in the middle of "Highway Star", in the solo part where it's kinda important to hold down a steady bass line.

So I start falling backwards. I have to twist my body to fall left instead of right (ie. away from the drums). I have to twist my body again to land on my back instead of on my bass. I'm still playing, trying hard to hold down that all important bass line.

I land on my back. I'm looking straight up at the ceiling. My fingers are still going. Never missed a note.

Instant celebrity status. Lots of free tequila.

Thank you drunk chic, whoever you were:)
  2. CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    :D nice one.

...remember that bit in Spinal Tap where Nigel falls on his back, and the roadie comes out to pick him up but spins him around a few times first.:D :D
  3. ClarkW

Aug 1, 2003
    Provo, UT. USA
    That sounds like it hurt. :eek:
  4. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

There's no substitute for experience. Good Job man.
  5. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Once I read an interview with Roger Glover, and they asked him a question about "being amazing" or how people perceived him that way, and his answer has stuck with me through the years, and I try to remember it whenever I get to feeling particularly impressed with myself:)

He said: "my job is to hold down a solid bass line while all hell is breaking loose around me".
  6. Ahh, the life of a bar band bassist. ;)

Good story :D
  7. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I filled in with a band a few weeks ago on a very small stage that didn't quite make it to the wall, so there was a big gap that was quite easy to fall into. I was talking to the singer and said for a joke, wouldn't it be funny if I fell in half way through a song. Everyone went quiet for a second, then burst out in hysterical laughter. Why?

The last time they played there, their regular bass player (a mate of mine) was in a bit of a daydream and his playing reflected it. To wake him up, the singer gave him a little tap with his elbow. Three guesses what happened next. He stepped backwards into the gap and basically ended up with his bum in the hole. To make it worse, he instinctively threw his hands out to try and break the fall. All that did was free up the strings on the bass to make an almighty BONNNNNNNNNNNNG sound as all 4 open strings sounded off at the same time.

I wish I was there.............
  8. lol how lound was the amp ?
  9. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Loud enough :)
  10. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    I was in a band about four years ago that had a blind singer/guitarist. We did a show at a club with a high stage. He kept moving forward and almost walked right off the front of the stage about 6 times. The other guitarist and myself had to keep pulling him back......come to think of it, he did this a bunch of times. Maybe we should of got him a chair?

A little off topic:
    That same blind guy once held up a tube of "ben gay" and asked, "Dude,is this toothpaste?" I told him "No". After I caught my breath from all the laughter! ...Sorry Jonny. (I miss that band)