Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Playing fast (metal) fingerstyle on an 8-string?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by MaskedJackal, Dec 3, 2005.

1. I mean OCTAVED 8-string :)

I've been thinking about saving for a Dean Edge 8. They play quite nice, and I like fingerpicking on the one I played.

Besides Tony Senatore, I don't see too many players playing octave basses fingerstyle- especially not in metal. Heck, ARE there any 8-stringers in metal? None come to mind.

Basically, can anyone give advice as to fingerpicking technique on 8-string? I get the sense it might be differrent....

Thanks!

2. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    Why not just buy an octave pedal?

3. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    I think most people use a pick for those things.

4. It would feel like cheating. I dunno, I just dig 8 strings.

Plus, the Edge 8 I'm looking at costs only a little more than a Electro-Harmonix POG.

5. Yes, but I don't really plan on it. :rolleyes:

6. I'm thinking it would sound pretty badass. Go for it, and post some recordings while you're at it. :bassist:

7. Thank you, sir. I want to do a slow, dirgy-but-melodic doom metal band (doom metal=Black Sabbath-influenced) with my buddy who I do a tongue-in-cheek horror/funk/metal band with, via my bass and Sansamp BDDI and his FruityLoops drum stuff over the internet. You can check out our stuff at www.myspace.com/doublebarrelboomstick - it's simple stuff I'm playing, and "JSMBS" is a bunch of distorted bass overdubs.

8. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    Metallica used a 12 string octaved bass on 'Wherever I May Roam'

9. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    dUG from King's X regularly plays 8 and 12 stringers, with and without a pick. I believe the strings are set up slightly differently on some models to accomodate this. I know Hamer used to put the primary string on top, for picking, or below the octave string, for plucking, on different models. Either way, go for it and post a clip. I was eyeballing the Edge 8 as well, let us know how it works out.

10. Joey Demaio from Manowar sometimes use an 8-string octaved bass. I think he use it on the song "Bride Of Death".