Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Playing geetar on bass amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lovebown, Jul 23, 2001.

1. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    This has probably been asked before but I'm too lazy to seach ;) I own a Peavey 300W top with a big cabinet. Can I plug an electric guitar into it without ruining it? Will the high notes hurt the amp/speaker?

Thanks,
    /lovebown

2. it won't kill the amp..a guitar has a lot less output than a bass..

but it will sound like sh#t, because the speakers are too slow.. they're built for bass ( 30..700 hz ?? )
    so they won't sound as good as tweeters..

3. i dunno normally it just make the guitar sound wierd and kinda "twangy"

4. I play my guitars through my Buster all the time. I like it better than the Marshall 2x12 combo I have. 200 watts all tube amp through a 1x15 speaker - that's some great tone. You may have to EQ the amp differently, but it should work fine.

5. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    sometimes at practice ill wip out the old acoustic guitar. my carvin bass amp works great for that. just turn the power down and the bass down a little too and go nutz

6. before i got a real guitar amp for my guitars, i used to play it though my old bass amp (peavey basic 112, 50w, 12inch speaker, ss), and i would just put a mesa/boogie v-twin infront of it, using the clean, and distorted channel, and not using the bypass, i got some pretty good sounds out of it, actuly prefered it to the sound of my sisters fender champ. 30, then i got a fender blues jr. and it blew it away. If you want a small amp, which is loud, get the fender blues jr. you can get one off ebay for $250.

7. To answer your original question:

Yes, you can play a guitar thru a bass amp.
    No, playing guitar will not ruin any part of your amp/combo.

While a bass amp might put out, say, 200w, it won't actually be as loud as you think with a guitar - the guitar's frequency range is somewhat more treble-based, which doesn't cut it too well on larger, slower-moving speakers and cabinet designed around much different frequency curve and response. But, connect a guitar speaker/cabinet to a bass head, and all's fine (although you have to watch power ratings - guitar speakers are rated at much less that bass'uns, and a bass head if not throttled back will burn 'em).

8. You will not hurt a thing. You'll blow your brains out before you blow that amp up :)

Give it a try. Back in the late sixties the Fender Bassman was a hot item for many guitarists.

9. i do it, and it sounds pretty darn good to me. no problems whatsoever.

10. I've heard that a lot of Jazz guitarists use small bass amps for a fuller, less trebly tone.

Mike J.

11. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I have found bass amps to be great for acoustic guitar as well. I have used both my Carvin R600 and my Nemesis NC210P as an acoustic amp and they function well.