1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Playing gigs inside and outside

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thomas Kievit, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    So I've got a question when it comes to playing gigs both inside and outside on stage.

I've noticed that at several gigs I visited a lot of bass players mostly used either a 4 x 10 cab or 4 x 10 + 1 x 15 cab when they were playing a gig inside, while others who played a gig outside on stage, used 2 4 x 10 cabs or a 6 x 10 cab or even a 8 x 10 cab.

Is it really necessary to have a 6 x 10 or 8 x 10 cab when you play gigs outside, so that the audience can hear the bass better?

2. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    With FOH support, it does'nt matter what you use; your rig is merely a stage monitor for yourself. I've never played an outside gig without FOH support, usually because they are festival type gigs, and we always brought our own PA. We would set everything to cover the dance floor.

3. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Depends on your band and how loud you need to be. I've played many a gig inside or outside with a 115. And I've done it with two 115s, which is better for bigger venues as well as outside, especially without PA support. But, I always have PA support when needed, so it really doesn't matter as long as I can hear myself.

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Coincidence. It's not as if the 10's do better outdoors or something.

You may want a bigger rig outdoors than in though. Outside, there are no walls or boundries to support the sound, so you lose some lowend and sound thinner. The more speakers helps doing small patio/courtyard type gigs with no PA help, but also helps you keep a full sound on big stages.

5. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    yup. just a monitor for you and your bandmates. as long as there's PA support it won't matter what you've got going on for the stage. as long as everybody on the stage can hear you. some guys skip the amp altogether and use IEM's. it's all personal preference. the only festival gig i ever did i had a truckload of stuff (not kidding- 3620 cab, 215, 210 and four heads-- young, you know...) and the stage manager said his guys would hook it all up if i wanted, but he wasn't paying them to load it on. i ended up just using a 115 combo the bass player from the act before us brought and everything was stellar.

6. 5 Wire

5 Wire

Feb 1, 2013
    NorCal
    Like was previously said, it depends on many universal things. FOH being the most important.

For me, it depends on the type of gig. I like to take my whole rig (if there is room) but, if it's a small room or a fundraiser/benefit I usually won't.
    Yes, the sound is much thinner outside.

7. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    Inside a building, a stage is generally fairly small, plus the sound hits the back wall and comes back. Outside, especially at a festival, the stage is double or triple that indoor-stage size, so most bands spread out a bit more and then bring extra gear so they can be heard "spread out." Do you need it? No. I've played outdoors without an amp, but the band complained because they couldn't hear me. But, you don't need the Sunn Stadium rig, either. There is a difference between needs and wants. :smug:

8. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    I think many times we like to SHOW off when on an outdoor stage. I know I have played most of my recent gigs with just a single 15, but when outdoors on a raised stage I would add another 15. Really just cause it looked cool. I have since come to my senses.

9. Mike in Chicago

Mike in Chicago Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Chicago
    I bring both. it looks cooler. and I like having a bottom higher.

And, may I use my favorite phrase stolen from here...

"The best stand for a 410 cabinet is a 410 cabinet"

10. When playing an outdoor gig, it comes down to how good is the PA, and how good are the monitors.

There is a world of difference between playing inside a bar, on a small stage, where you have room bounderies and reflections versus playing on a 40 foot wide stage at an outdoor festival.

11. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    In big room and outdoors I use my large rig. PA or not, it makes a difference.
    If you are lucky enough to play an outdoor gig with a good monitor mix and side fills then it won't matter. But that has only happened for me twice in 30+ years of gigging usually you're lucky to even get enough monitor to hear just the vocals. So I take no chances, I bring my big rig.

12. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    I've played in front of 5000 outside with a 2x10. FOH was massive

13. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I would rather hear my rig than the monitors and unless it is a serious serious concert rig. Even then it may not be your tone or the monitor is fatigued.
    So my rig so all is familiar to the band.

More speakers outside = sounding full.
    Not full = turning up, eqing unnaturally, losing headroom, possible distortion then less low end and less full sound.

14. Exactly............

I've played a bunch of "big stage" gigs opening for national acts where you are lucky to get use of a couple of monitors for vocals.

Those big side fills you see over there......those are for the headliner.

15. RoeyHaviv

RoeyHaviv

Apr 1, 2011
    Charlotte NC
    Endorsing Artist: Vigier guitars, Pigtronix Effects
    Same here.
    The lack of walls and a ceiling makes low end disappear.

I like the opportunity to dust off the old 18" EV cab on outdoor gigs :)

[​IMG]

16. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Good points here. Monitoring on big outdoor stages where the band is really spread out can sometimes be quite good but plenty often enough leans toward the crappy end of things for bass. Plenty of times I've split up my rig and gave my drummer one of my bass cabs. Also put some cardboard kick drum in my vocal wedge to keep us together. When I know we're going into a big stage deal like that, I pack a long speaker cable from my PA system just in case. It's helped us out several times.