1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Playing gloves

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by DaftCat, Apr 1, 2006.

1. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Hey,

I did a search with the terms "gloves sweat" but yielded little results.

I have hyperhidrosis(http://www.parsec.it/summit/hyper1e.htm) and cope with it but I am interested in players who use gloves.

Where do I get them? Do you order them, are they just weightlifter gloves, what?

I need TB wisdom!

Thanks,

DCat

2. chardin

chardin

Sep 18, 2000
    I played with gloves at an outdoor show once when it was cold. The gloves really changed the sound. You might want to consider cutting off the ends so that just your finger tips are exposed. Try it with a cheap pair of cotton gloves first. I hope this helps.

3. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    I'll give that a go. Still hopin' others in the same boat can offer their experiences. :)

DCat

4. BasStefan

BasStefan Guest

i'll use weightlifting gloves for my right hand sometimes if its cold. on my left hand it restricts movement. but i guess if you can find really stretchy gloves, and cut off the tips it might work

5. Why is sweating while playing such a problem? I'd think that it would lubricate things. Does it get sticky?

6. It depends on the finish of your bass. If you have a porous (oil/wax) finish, sweat isn't any problem at all--it just soaks right into the neck and the body. On lacquer finishes, though, sweat gets sticky.

7. Skeletomania

Skeletomania

Oct 25, 2005
    hong kong
    My I suggest hanging a towel around your neck so you can wipe off your hands.

8. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    The fingerless leather gloves you can buy at any motorcycle shop work pretty well.

I've used them on cold outdoor gigs. You get used to them without too much annoyance.

9. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    A french bassist Etiennes M'Bape has, I think, the same problem that you describe. He uses gloves very thin of some sort but I couldn't telle you more unfortunatly...
    I'll search to see if I could eventualy find a contact where you could ask him directly.

Sheers

10. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    If you had this disorder, you would know. It gets so bad that the bridge of my Wick is rusty because of it. However, having a beer or two does kill the symptoms but I don't want to drink booze to deal with it either. :p

Thanks for the replies, I'll try the above advice out.

11. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    You should install a fan in between the pickups - how cool would that be! A Hole either right through the bass or using a duct to take air from the side (maybe an inlet by the strap button).

Why not turn your problem into something fun and new?

OK so maybe this solution is a little far-fetched, but hey it would still be cool. (no pun intended).

12. vinny

vinny

Apr 3, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV.
  13. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    i used drummer gloves one to be funny, but it did make a very nice dead sound.

14. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    I seen Jonny Lang at the House of Blues in Cleveland saturday night and his bass player was wareing a black glove on his right hand.
    I couldn't tell you who he was,(he was quite good though).
    He was playing his @ss off .