Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Playing Guitar and Bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Lazy, Jun 25, 2001.

1. Lazy

Lazy

May 30, 2001
    Vancouver BC
    I play guitar and bass regularly, one day I'll practice guitar and the next two I'll play bass, then guitar for a while then bass. My question is: Will playing both these instruments sacrifice the progress I could make on one! Should I commit to one instrument?

P.S. Since we're on TALKBASS, no biased answers please!

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

That's really an individual dilemma. For some it might mean being less proficient on one, for some, it wouldn't make much difference.

One thing I do know - unless you are a very good guitarist, you'll have a hell of a lot more work playing bass.

3. I do the same thing, and I think its inevitable that I am sacrificing the progress that I could make on one of them, but it doesn't bother me because I enjoy the versatility of being able to play guitar or bass.

Its just a personal thing, really. I might be the only one who thinks like this. And anyway, as rickbass1 says, some people can play both without sacrificing progress on either.

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Why don't you practice both every day? You could practice a song on guitar, then play its bassline. I play both guitar and bass too. I started playing bass one year after I started playing guitar. Playing both is great, but it would be to your advantage to play both every day.

5. Seems to me you're doing fine just by playing MUSIC every day :) I wish I had your discipline!

6. I play both whenever I feel like it (which means playing both everyday, usually). I'll write a guitar riff, screw around with it, then think up a bassline. Then I record them on my computer. To hear the fruits of my labor, go to www.mp3.com/thebassline or www.guitar.com/artists/bassline .
    Heh, I feel guilty already! :D