Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

playing guitar has improved my bass tech.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bass element, Feb 15, 2005.

1. i have recently begun to take an acoustic fingerpicking style guitar and music theory class at my high school. i had played a lil guitar before then, but i had been playing bass for about 5 years.

anyways, by implementing this fingerpicking style to my bass technique, i have noticed an increase in finger strength and overall finger flexability. this is what i was hoping to gain from taking the course. i am also able to follow the guitar players alot better while jamming because i can now recognize the chord shapes. i also found that i love playing fingerpicking style acoustic guitar! though i havent learned much on the music theory part so far (stuff i knew already such as how to build chords, major and minor scales, etc), i totally enjoy the course.

2. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    I'm actually just starting to teach myself guitar as an attempt to augment my bass playing - to take it to the next level so to speak. Glad to hear that this actually seems like a good idea!

3. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    I am borrowing my bro's old guitar (A Squire with a severely bowed neck). I don't play fingerstyle, I use a pick on the guitar with an occasional moment where I try fingerstyle. I do realize though that when I move from practicing on the guitar to practicing on the bass, I feel at ease.

4. My stephbrother plays guitar, it's fun to do once in a while for a change especially when fingerpicking. It takes a little while to get used to the small string spacing though, especially with my left hand.

5. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I've been doing some acoustic fingerstyle guitar also over the last 7 years and have found that it helped with everything bass. A couple of years ago I sold my guitar (a real nice pre-Fender Guild jumbo) in a moment of stupidity because I was too busy gigging on bass to practice guitar. Plus I needed the money to buy some bass gear. Last week I bought a new guitar and have been getting back into it. I can see myself after I retire, sitting on my front porch playing acoustic rather than on my front porch playing Jaco style solos on bass. :D

6. ArabStrap

ArabStrap

Jan 6, 2005
    I completely agree, the fingerpicking style on an acoustic has helped me tremendously with the bass. And besides, fingerpicking style is "teh k3wl". So rewarding when you're able to play your first Devendra song. =D

7. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I totally agree with that. I had a dry bass period and I started playing guitar, it made me a better bassist.

8. Desi

Desi

Jan 11, 2005
    Quite the opposite on my end, as bass made me a better guitar player :eek: .