1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

playing guitar through my bass amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by joeyzaza, Jun 29, 2007.

1. joeyzaza

joeyzaza

Dec 16, 2005
    Is it bad? I'm sure that it's the other way around, that it's not a good idea to play bass through a guitar amp. Plus, not pushing the amp at all, just using it at practice volume now and again.

2. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    No, it's not bad. IME, playing an electric guitar through a bass rig doesn't sound very good, but an acoustic through a bass rig can sound AWESOME. I often play my A/E Martin through my bass amp and I think it sounds great.

3. eb76

eb76

Jun 8, 2007
    Fort Wayne
    On the flipside, an electric guitar through an Ampeg SVT Classic sounds pretty good.

4. Under no circumstances will it hurt the amp. If it has a tweater, you may want to turn it way down or off as electric guitar sounds a little weird with a tweater in the chain.

5. elpelotero

elpelotero

Jun 16, 2006
    are you greybeard from the guitarnoise forum?

6. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Yeah, it's bad. Don't ever do that again - or your amp will blow up in a shower of a thousand white-hot radioactive sparks that will instantly set your house on fire and cause horrible mutating genetic defects throughout your entire family for generations yet to come...:rolleyes:

7. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    That's the good part.

8. joeyzaza

joeyzaza

Dec 16, 2005
    nope!

9. I play my guitar through my Ashdown ABM 500 EvoII RC all the time at concert volumes...it works great, it just takes a different EQ setting (obviously). I find myself adding more high mids and rolling the lows off to make it less boomy in the 40-60Hz range. The classic growly overdriven guitar amp is the 4x10 Bassman, which is a bass amp, so I'm pretty sure that history is on the side of playing guitar in your bass amp.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021