Playing guitar thru a 15 watt bass practice amp??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ninthwondernj, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Can it be done????(just for practicing purposes) Because I'm too cheap to spend more money on yet another amp!
  2. klharper

klharper Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Yea, it should be alright, especially if its just for practice.
  3. You won't hurt a bass amp with a guitar... it's playing bass through a guitar amp that will potentially do some damage.
  4. well yea that makes sense
  5. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    No problem, go for it. In fact, you might even like it. Approach it with an open mind, and play around to see what kind of distortion sounds you can get.
  6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    itll work, may sound like poo

very popular blues amp among guitarists is the fender bassman
  7. I played bass through a 15 watt peavey amp for a year n a half before getting my bass amp, and its still fine :)
  8. really? do you know of any artists off hand that do this???
  9. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Merle Haggard does.
  10. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Note that he means the old tube bassman, not the new bassman amps.

The old bassmans where a bit underpowered for bass. They also tend to kill the low end since speakers in those days could not really handle lows very well. This tends to make them great guitar amps. YMMV.
  11. so even though this is a bass amp forum, where should i look for some amps?
  12. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    My experience is that there's too much errant speculation about this - in both directions; playing a guitar through a bass amp AND vice-versa.

My personal experience is that many bass amps make GREAT guitar amps - they're far more full-range in their sound reproduction, although they lack some of the effects (reverb, chorus) that you'll find on guitar amps.

As for playing a bass through a guitar amp, it all depends on how hard you drive it. If the poor thing is farting and wheezing...well, if you distort the living bejeebus out of it, it won't last very long...but, if played at a reasonable volume that doesn't overtax the amp or speakers, often the result can be positively excellent from the sheer perspective of TONE.

Remember kids: Chris Squire used his Rickenbacker and a Fender Twin to make some of the most noteworthy bass sounds of all time. Where do you think that INSANE tone on "Roundabout", or the vibrato on "Heart Of The Sunrise" came from?

Your ears will usually tell you if you're hurting an amp.
  13. I thought the whole idea was you didn't want to spend on a new amp?
  14. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Yes, I did exactly this for a few months. I used a Hartke 15 watt bass practice amp (B15 maybe?) with my Strat until I bought a Roland Cube 60 guitar amp. The Strat sounded great through the little Hartke, which was perfectly acceptable as a practice amp for bass and guitar.