Playing guitar

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by steve2, Feb 15, 2003.

1. steve2

Sep 23, 2001
    Piney Flats, TN
    I am 100 % bassplayer but I just ordered a guitar (squier start butterscotch blonde). By taking up another instrument such a guitar, whould that hurt or help my bass playing? My opinion since I will be sharing my playing time between my basses and guitar then maybe I can learn some good licks on guitar and convert it into the bass. Also it may help my ear training.

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I did the opposite route you're taking. I started on guitar nd picked up the bass one year later.

The cool thing about playing guitar is that you can write songs and accompany yourself. Plus, you'll develop a better ear for chord progressions. Also, you'll learn to hear guitar parts better and have a better understanding of how a guitar line and a bass lline connect.

Another perk is that if you're playing with friends and they're playing a song you don't know, you can learn the progressions by looking at the guitarists' fretting hand.
  3. And! You can learn to solo. Everyone loves guitar solos. Especially on 11.
  4. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I'm a bassists first and foremost, but I write on guitar.
  5. Steve2,

I'm hardley one to give advice on this forum because I am brand new to the bass guitar. I play banjo. Having said that, it will be no surprise that I advocate broadining your horizons above one instrument.

I have to put my jo down now and again because I get frustrated with it. During those times I remain idle - playing nothing and taking a break from listening to bluegrass. That, IMHO, is bad for me. I believe that now, during those times, I can pick up and play with my bass and make some progress on it. My fingers will stay busy on an instrument, and my brain will have something different to think about for awhile that is still music related...

Oh well I'll can it for now and let the pros put in their thoughts - but I say go for it "no holds barred".

Good luck,

6. steve2

Sep 23, 2001
    Piney Flats, TN
    If you can master a banjo than you can play anything. I have been down that road. I had a Deering Deluxe and believe me bass,guitar,and mandolin is alot easier than the banjo. I have tried them all at one time or another. Bluegrass bass is what I cut my teeth on. I have used that as a good base and applied it to different types of music. Good luck on bass but keep playing the banjo. Bluegrass bass can get boring but I like to play blues and Jamerson stuff and try to learn diffderent techniques to broden my bass playing. Good luck