1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Playing high notes!!!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by rgarcia26, Feb 11, 2013.

1. rgarcia26

rgarcia26

Jun 9, 2008
    Miami Florida
    I must confess I am guilty I know my finger board very well but only the first 5 frets (I like to play the low notes)... I play a lot of 4 string BEAD bass so I only go up to the octave high D string to D as much...

But now since I am learning how to read music I use a typical 5 string BEADG... and now I am finding out Jazz players like to play very high notes, super high like B on the second octave on the G string... its hard for me to read the notes and go so high, right now its a hit and miss game...

What should I change?

A-Knowing the high notes on the G string
    Or
    B-Knowing the scale notes but for in higher frets (Ej C on the 8th fret on the E string)
    Or

All of the Above?

Ant tricks for my brain? Thanks

2. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    If you practice running scales in all the positions you'll pick it up pretty quickly.

3. rgarcia26

rgarcia26

Jun 9, 2008
    Miami Florida
    +1

that's my problem I am only know one scale I think that is my limitation

4. These 2 sites will help you a lot.

http://www.studybass.com/

http://scottsbasslessons.com/

Its easy, you just have to put work in. Remember Big Cats Eat Fish. There are no sharps between B and C or between E and F.

Learning the Major and Minor Triad patterns will start making a lot of sense of it, and is explained very well in the 2 sites I listed. Check those out and report back to us:bassist:

The higher register makes for a great tool to add dynamics. I use it a lot in song intros,endings, slides from low to the same note an octave up on big builds, not just for Jazz and soloing.

5. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    One thing I have always done that helped me is to work my way up on the E string. Start by jumping up to the 5th fret for the A note. Then jump up to the 10th fret and play up there for stuff in D. Rather then working from the open A & D strings.
    Also learn "Ramble on" by Led Zeppelin(If you like them). "Californication" By RHCP is another song that gets you up higher on the neck.

6. rgarcia26

rgarcia26

Jun 9, 2008
    Miami Florida
    I was at study bass web site yesterday I think going to the exercises on the same string will do