1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Playing in the City...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by neddyrow, Jul 22, 2012.

1. neddyrow

neddyrow Captain of Team Orange Jacket

Apr 21, 2011
    Cortland, NY
    Not sure where to post this so "miscellaneous" it is.

My band and I are going on a short busking tour and one place we are going stop is NYC. I am curious where the best places to set up and play in the streets for a bluegrass band.

I see that there are a bunch of you guys who live in the city so any help would be appreciated. Even if it's where not to play :)

2. BKBassDude

BKBassDude

Jun 17, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Note that if you don't have a permit, you can't play in most of the prime subway stop locations (Time Sq/Herald Sq/Union Sq).

Well you can try to play, but are subject to a fine.

You can generally get away with no fear at most of the smaller subway stops, just consider your place and time (no one wants to wade through a bluegrass band at rush hour).

For good outdoor spots that shouldn't run you problems with the cops, Union Square Park and Washington Square Park are the first that come to mind. I really don't travel north of 14th st too often, and I could be way off, but I don't think there's a whole lot of busking opportunities up there.

I think bluegrass would do well in the hipster areas like Williamsburg, but there's not a lot of busking opportunities. It might be worth while checking local bars in these neighborhoods (Williamsburg/Greenpoint/Bushwick) to see if you couldn't set up an impromptu show.