Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Playing in the cold

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Vox Populi, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    I live in the Seattle area, and it's about 31 degrees here, and this is a warm as it's going to be getting for the next several weeks.

We can't turn the heater on because it costs too much money (according to my mother, the "Heat Nazi" as we've taken to calling her). So it's really cold inside. It's like my fingers are drunk or something. I can't get them to do what I want when I try to practice, and I can't feel them either. They're just too cold.

What do you guys do to warm up?

2. I live in Michigan so I feel your pain. Try those Hand foot warmers. They are little plastic pouches you "crack to activate". Stick 'em in your pockets, warm up your hands, then play. Repeat as necessary. :)

Or invest in a good electric space heater. ($20-50)

3. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Having grown up in Chicago I played many a cold gigs.I use
    the weightlifter leather gloves with the open finger ends.Like
    you my hands were very sensitve to the cold.When I was not
    playing I would keep them in my jacket pockets.I would have the cocktail waitress bring me a water with a straw so I did
    not have to touch anything cold,I would just lean over and take a drink.That is all my cold weather tricks I hope they help. :)

4. +1 for the weightlifter gloves.
    I've used them on cold outdoor gigs.
    They work great for fingerstyle or pick.
    If you slap, you may have to modify the thumb on the slapping hand glove.

5. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    Isnt it really bad for circulation playin in the cold... lads come on now IRELAND!!

6. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Get yourself an electric heater. A convection heater will heat the air, probably giving you more comfortable results than a radiant heater will. Give your mom a dime for every hour that you run it to pay for the electricity it uses.

7. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I say you should just keep practicing with the cold fingers.
    Just think how much faster you will be in the spring time. :D

I used to play this bar in DC where the stage was right in line with the door that was always open to attract the customers.
    I used to get those cheap jersey work gloves from 7-11 and cut the fingers off. They slide easily on the back of the neck.

8. mattmcnewf

mattmcnewf

May 27, 2004
    where a heavy coat and hat more blood will flow to ur hands in the rest of ur body is warm. and 30 is not cold :rolleyes:

9. I used to live in the seattle area, and for there 30 is cold lol, well Id go with what the most are saying since thats what I do so get a pair of gloves and a space heater! Im getting a heater in my studio since its starting to get cold and use gloves so you get used to wearing them so if you have a gig out side.

10. A cup of hot coffee usually does it for me... you can warm your hands on it between songs and it'll keep you warm on the inside during the set.

11. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Cold?

Surely you jest! :eyebrow:

My that be your life's thorniest tribulation... ;)

12. Run your hands and forearms under really hot water... like almost hot enough to burn you. Do this for about 2 minutes. It really makes all the difference, I swear by it. It loosens your hands right up. If you do this every half hour or so, your hands should stay warm enough.

13. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I'm not kidding. And don't call me Shirley :D

14. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    And it's Celsius, to boot. ;)