1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

playing in three bands in one gig accidentally

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ballison, Apr 23, 2006.

1. so get this...

I work with this guy named aaron whos band was playing on this gig on the 9th, and his bass player was gunna be outta town, so he hires me to take his spot (keep in mind Ill have about one maybe two rehearsals before the show to learn 5 tunes) then another one of my coworkers asks if my band wanted to play a gig with his band, so I say yeah and it turns out its the same gig! a week later he's talking to me about how his bass player really doesnt make the band his priority, so he's gunna fire him and asks if I wanna join the band or at least fill in till they find another bass player.

so Im playing in three bands in one night!
    odd part is all three bands have different tunings.

my original band plays in standard, the aaron guys band plays down a halfstep, and the other band plays down a whole step.

this will be interesting!

2. I've done 2 with a bunch of different bands, but never 3!

Have fun- watch your drinking!

3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    make sure ya retune right after your set, then tune it up again right before you go on with the next band cuz when you retune like that the neck settles and 1/2 an hour later it's gonna sharp or flat.

i draw the line at 2 bands per gig. :) after that it feels a little whorish to me. most I think I ever did was 2 bands and a couple of songs with another.

have fun.

4. sadly I have 10 months until I turn 21 so no problem there hah

5. I might end up using my 65 p for the 1/2 step down set... then use my conklin for the rest. that way Id only have to worry about one change

6. I "grew up" playing in original bands, 3-4 bands a night, usually just playing one set. I knew how much I could drink before I played, I knew I could knock down 2 beers during the set, and I could do a bunch of shots (usually purchased by my adoring fans :rolleyes: ). I started playing in a cover band that did 4 sets a nite, and I kept drinking like I normally would- and it didn't occur to me to not keep drinking like that... yeah, that 4th set is kind of a blur and what I do remember is painful.

7. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    You have 3 bands and I have 0. That sounds fair.

8. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    My closest memory to this was a Childrens' Miracle Network benefit we played where the third (and headlining) band had recorded their CD with a gospel choir as the backup singers, and the horn section from the first band of the day.

So the horn section stayed on stage when their band left. We set up and had a backing horn line. Then we left and the headliners set up and already had a horn section waiting. They also had about a dozen of the choir members there as backup singers.

It was even more awesome than it sounds, or way way more awesome, depending on what you were picturing. But the part that amazed me was that while the alto sax player was a fan of ours, I had never seen the tenor sax, trumpet, or trombine players at our shows. So the alto player had arranged the parts for the four of them to play to our tunes from memory,

That's one of the best recommendations I have heard for North Texas' music program.

9. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I might be getting a cover band set up that'll prolly open for my main band in the semi-near future (after summer), but 3 BANDS?! That's nuts. Good luck with that one. I don't think I could handle it. But then again, I'm the guy who's running all over the place during our set and usually want more stage-time once we're done, so who knows.

Good luck!!!