playing j-basses with picks

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by cossie, Jul 16, 2005.

1. cossie

Apr 29, 2005

i have an aerodyne (which has pretty much a j-bass body, maybe a little smaller) and i find it very hard to play with a pick comfortably as i find the body of the bass _moves_ a lot when i'm playing.

i do play quite fast, and with a lot of downstrokes, but its _head melting_ trying to control the bass body while i'm playing too.

i've tried the bass at various heights but it still happens, is it possible i'm just playing too damn hard?

i have the same problem when i played with my old p-bass though.
  2. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Usually when you're holding the neck, the bass shouldn't move too much... I don't know what to tell you, kid.
  3. i dont think its possible that you can move the whole bass with just your pick,unless you're doing it intentionally or your left(fretting hand) is REALLY weak.
  4. FederalFUNK

Jan 12, 2005
    i had the same problem going from a back breaking P clone to a yammy rbx... either 1 of 3 (or all 3) things will solve it...

1. dont wear your bass so low readjust your strap

2. dont play with such ferosity calm down a bit which should improve your tech and make it easier to play

3. if you dont wanna do the above 2 then reposition your bass so that it sorta rests on the side of your leg kinda bracing the bass against your body... works a treat for me when im going hard at some metal song...

hope that helps
  5. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I just played my jazz on a set with a pick the whole time, and I had no problems whatsoever. I have it a little below waist height, which helps cut down fatigue in my right hand. I didn't notice it moving excessively at all. With my left hand on the neck, and my right forearm resting against the edge of the body, it doesn't move at all. I tend to use my wrist for picking rather than my whole arm. It's much easier to control.
  6. cossie

Apr 29, 2005
    I've started doing that alright, part of the problem is (for me personally) is that i'm quite tall - 6'5" - i'm sure there are people as tall and taller playing bass without the trouble i'm having.

i've got stupidly long arms which makes setting the bass at a comfortable height is tricky - i'll get my strap modified, its the last option.

plus i'm probably going to switch to finger style full time soon, i prefer it but its taken me quite a while to build up the speed and stamina to play some of the stuff we do, our drummer plays at about 150bpm :p

thanks for your advice though, its really appreciated! :)
  7. junkman510

May 2, 2005
    Lebanon, PA
    I don't use the pointy end of the pic. I use the rounder edge of the pic. With this you can change the angle of the attack and get many different tones. It's like between pick an fingers. With a bit of palm muting you can do incredible things. I was told by a great guitar player about this trick and I use it now for both guitar and bass. It changed the way I play. It takes a while to get used to it but it is the bomb! I still use fingers and slap when it calls for it.
  8. Junkman, you've just posted exactly the same thing in four different threads! We get it already.
  9. I think it was jason newstead who said that for a proper picking technique pretty much only you wriste or hand should move, unless of course you like in the west coastm ad play in a hardcore band where the talent of your playing is judge by the gear you own and who loud you play, :spit: but I have never had a problem playing my jazz with a pic,

their are some dumb people out here.