Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Playing keyboard on bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SlavaF, Mar 25, 2005.

1. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Since I don't know where to put this, I'll just put it in the most viewed forum. ;)

So I own a Boss GT-6B and just got my hands on a Korg M1 keyboard. The GT-6B has MIDI ins and outs so this got me thinking - would it be possible to trigger notes on the keyboard with my bass? If so, how could this be done?

Thanks!

2. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I do not know hardly anything about this, but you'd need a MIDI output on your bass, and I would presume you'd also need a sensor to pick up the notes you play on bass.

I was thinking of setting something up like this on my own bass.. It just seems cool :) Like setting up a nice pad or strings in addition to the bass sound, would just be sweet.

3. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    the answer, unfortunatelty, is no. Those midi ins and outs are for storage of your internal settings, etc.. they will not trigger a keyboard synth.

4. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    ARRG :bawl:

Well is there some kind of "sensor" as Lorenzini mentioned that I could hook up to my bass? I don't wanna give up just yet...

5. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    something like a Roland GK pickup, would then have to go thru a converter, like an axxon, or Yamaha g50- or a Roland GR33, which would convert the signal to midi, which you can then hook up to your M1 -
    it is an expensive venture and unfortunately, the low bass notes take longer to convert to midi and the tracking is often less than desirable-
    Roland has a converter, i think its a GI20 maybe, which is half rack that will do this, you still need the Roland pickup-
    it's a pain, believe me, i have been trying for years

6. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Hmm well I could probably hook up a Roland PU to my Peavey Cirrus 6 when I get it, then buy the half rack thing. I'll do a bit more research.

Although since I'd have to buy more expensive gear, maybe I should just learn to play the damn keyboard...

7. jvbjr

jvbjr

Jan 8, 2005
    Midi triggering for bass does not work very well in my experience. Most of the tracking issues for guitars have finally been worked out, 20 years into the midi revolution, bass is still nowhere near that level yet. Bass strings vibrate more slowly and are very thick and generally make for poor tracking at this time.

8. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    And I'm only guessing minor R&D has gone into this.

9. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    When I first heard Level 42 I didn't think they had a bassist, but that was before I started playing bass. Actually it was Mark King who got me into bass... When I was about 6 I asked my brother to play a slap solo on guitar, I couldn't figure out why he couldn't :smug:

Since then I knew bass was the instrument for me. :bassist:

10. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    I thought of this before. Pretty hard to make. You need to have pressure sensitive frets. I saw a bass that had no pickups. It had photo-sensitive diodes. These then pick up the frequency, so i guess you could do that for the velocity the note is played at.
    A dream really, a little bit pointless. Would be cool to see a bass guitar doing a drum solo though!