Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

playing like les claypool

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by prof_nutbutter, Dec 6, 2004.

1. prof_nutbutter

prof_nutbutter

Jan 6, 2004
    Germany
    hey you ppl out there,
    i got this primus hallucinogenetics dvd today and im really impressed by claypool's strumming/flamenco technique and i just cant figure out how he can play it so clean and without hurting his fingers, can anybody of you help me with this please? i really need some help, coz i wanna learn and improve
    thx
    prof

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Practice. Try and develop your own technique. Playing like Les Claypool won't get you anywhere besides a Les Claypool fanclub. It's pretty easy to do, just use a yo-yo motion for your right hand.

3. I describe my strumming technique as 'the sound of one hand clapping', because that's sort of what it looks like - kinda.

It's just a matter of practise and finding something that works for you.

4. hunta

hunta

Dec 2, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Claypool's strumming technique isn't really too hard to learn. If you can strum a power chord, which is mostly what he does (like tommy the cat, john the fisherman), then just pick a simple pattern with 3 or 4 power chords, and repeat it over and over strumming up and down. Just don't dig into the strings too much, if it hurts you probably just need to lighten up.

The hard part is alternating strums with slapping lines and keeping it in time. Slap a couple octaves and strum a couple power chords afterwards, and cycle back and forth. It's a little tricky to get the timing right and make it sound good, but once you can do that you can pretty much play anything Claypool does.

And then you can sound just like Claypool, which isn't as useful as you'd think :)

5. tucker

tucker Guest

Jan 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    i agree with your last statement hunta

6. When i Strum I use the fingernail of my index finger. My hand looks like i am holding a pick but i strum with the index finger. I can switch between slap fingerstyle and strumming very quickly using this technique.