Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Playing live VS. recording

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Scutterflux, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Are there different techniques/styles/attacks that seem to work better while recording, or is it pretty much the same as live playing?

I personally find I play more agressive live, and a little more subdued when trying to make the perfect take. Does this sound about right?

The boys and I have started recording our first album-like project, and I have more live experience that studio experience, any suggestions or comments I'm sure will help me in my studio ventures!

Thanks, I know you guys know this stuff! Lets talk bass!

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Well, it helps to stay focused, and concentrate on what you are doing. When you are recording, if you **** up you have to do another take, when you are live if you **** up, some people might cringe a bit but you just move on and they forget real quick.

Another thing from my experience, you might be the greatest embellisher in the world, but you should be careful of getting "carried away" with the embellishments, they might sound great live, but when recorded and listened to over and over again, its just not the same, furthermore with every embellishment you add, that raises your chance of getting carried away and losing track of what you are doing, and ****ing up.