Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Playing Live - What to send to PA?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mulepods, Feb 20, 2006.

1. mulepods

mulepods Guest

Feb 20, 2006
    USA
    I'm curious to know what the rest of you guys are doing for live shows. Since it is desirable to emulate the sound of a mic'ed cabinet for recording, is it also desirable for performing? Usually I just send the output from my preamp to the PA (via XLR). Obviously it sounds ok, and this is a common approach. But would it sound better to send the mic'ed cab sound to the PA instead (by actually using a mic or maybe a Bass POD)?

2. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    What are you using? Head/cab/di?

3. mulepods

mulepods Guest

Feb 20, 2006
    USA
    I'm using a BBE Bmax bass preamp with a 15" Avatar cab. The DI is on the preamp.

4. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Usually they try to get a Direct out but mine isn't working for some reason so a DI Box is 2nd then a mic on the cab if all else fails works too.

5. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I would DI..it's just easier for the soundguy. Unles you REALLY love the tone of the cab..then mic it

6. +1
    But you are better off running DI than using a crappy mic.

7. from using the DI to using an Audix D4 mic'd cab. When using primarily Avatar/other cabs, I found the direct (non-EQ'd) DI feed to be the best. Now that I've been using the EA Wizzy's, a mic'd cab gives us (the band) the very nice EA sound for the FOH mix.

Another trick we use (if you use several basses and your board has extra inputs) is to split the mic cable at the board into two channels. We EQ (for the FOH mix) each bass for it's best sound, and then just punch in/out the appropriate channel when switching instruments.

As always, your mileage will vary - please try all the options and you'll figure out what sounds best out front.

Jay

8. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI

I personally if I had the choice would do both...but sometimes mic'd bass cabs and soundguys don't mix.

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    like it was mentioned, not the best idea. besides, this is more "guitar player" thinking than bass player thinking.

going from your amp DI is especially great if you're using lots of effects.

my rule -

good soundman : flat signal :: bad soundman : add tons of midrange

10. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    I use DI (Avalon U5) and it sounds good, but sometimes I sort of miss that driven, dirty sound. IIRC, Geddy Lee goes DI, but with 2 channels-- one "clean" (he uses a U5), and one "dirty" (a Palmer speaker simulator).

I'm thinking of trying this if I can get the soundmand to let me have another channel on his board. I don't have a Palmer, but I do have SansAmp BDDI, and it does dirty pretty well!:bassist:

11. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte

I like your rule!

12. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny