Playing metal bass...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by entwined, Apr 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. entwined

Jan 26, 2005
    Im somewhat a beginner to bass. But im playing in a metal band. We have two guitarists. So I was wondering how to be able to cut through and be heard (amp settings etc...). It seems that in most metal band that the bass player isnt really notices. I was also wondering what I could do to add to my bass lines to make it a bit more interesting and not so bland? What is some stuff I should be learning? Thanks.
  2. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    well, my "metal" guitar player always says if you wanna cut through, put your mids up.
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Skimp on the bass, get a lot of amp, jack the mids, and let fly. If you wanna get noticed, pray they're not tech monsters.

Other than that, listen to Cryptopsy.
  4. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Make a frown with your EQ, instead of a smile. Boost those mids! It'll sound wierd playing on your own, but it will cut through the muddle of drop-D power chords and double bass drums.

Anybody else remember Anthrax's bass sound? That was a cool metal sound with high mids and a little bit of overdrive.
  5. ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    As for getting noticed, just try to weave your way in and out of the other players. If they are cool they wont mind, if they are tech monsters, you just have to be really sneaky.
  6. ahhelpme

Aug 26, 2004
    Go cliff burton on their asses! with disortion and wah.
  7. entwined

Jan 26, 2005
    I know what you're saying. They wouldnt care. We are all friends of a long time. We were just trying to find a way to get the bass more noticeable. We all thought that we need more of a low end.
  8. thats the idea play a solo, dont give em a choice ahaha :ninja: :bassist:
  9. hahaha, but cliff also knew when he wasnt needed. look at ride the lightning (song, not album) all bassy with open E galore, no distortion, no wah, sounded great. Of course Distortion does help with the cutting through but remember, two much and the DISTORTION will cut through, not what your playing. U dont want to just be fuzz now do you?

You could also pull a ryan martinie on their a**es! Slow the lines down, and slap them, get that trebbly tone slicing through some distorded noise polution.
  10. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    listen to stuff by pantera , they are supreme metal :bassist: they are so heavy metal they have v shaped headstocks (i mean pointing down the neck)
  11. All knobs to the right!
  12. opivy3056

Oct 14, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    The other day when I was playing with a metal band....fingerstyle

I used a flat eq setting with boosted treble and bass
    I cranked the drive on my sans amp, the overtones were crazy

It was pretty easy for me to hear myself. Just gotta have that volume!!!

Technique wise......I tried to drive the sound forward by playing around the root notes, forming an agressive harmony under the guitar, but always coming back to the root if I needed to. Strategically placed octaves can be nice too.
  13. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    The easiest way to cut through in a metal band is to not play what the guitars are playing. Do something different and you get noticed, just make sure what you are doing compliments and sounds good with the guitar parts.
  14. I agree. Avoid the root when possible or throw in some fills and runs when appropriate. Change it up!
  15. The Beast

The Beast

Jul 19, 2004
    Evil Town
    Listen to Steve Harris, Cliff Burton or Steve DiGiorgio if you are not already...
  16. sLapshock

Nov 12, 2004
    downlaod any of L'arc~En~Ciel songs. u will shock of their crazy basslines.

i reccomend - blurry eyes, honey, driver's high, c'est e la vie, pieces

you will have a good shokc of how crazy his basslines are. and yeah.. they are rock band and u will notice the bass mroe than teh guitars, very very very very outstanding basslines.
  17. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Whats the use of a V headstock in metal? :eyebrow: im confused :confused: , You mean that if you dont have a V headstock you arent a real metal player?
  18. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Thats pop rock dude! they dont even have V shaped headstocks!!

No, really their bass lines are great but those LTD basses he uses (with EMGs, those that sound like jazz p-ups but look like humbuckers) wont cut through 2 distorted guitars.

BTW there is just one guitar in l'arc en el ciel.

the guy from orange range has a better tone, cut through wise. And the guy from asian kung fu generation has those amazing vintage looking fenders that sound like hell.
  19. sLapshock

Nov 12, 2004
    I'm not allowed to post here untill I can act like an adult.
  20. sLapshock

Nov 12, 2004
    anyway to the eprson who say ltd and whatever ..

larc bassist use esp's and fender. not ltd, do soem research before just shoot things that you dont. it make you look how shallow you're. ok "honey'?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.