1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Playing music from an iPod through my bass rig - any issues?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by davidjackson, Oct 29, 2013.

1. davidjackson

davidjackson

Sep 10, 2011
    UK
    Hi guys

I need to provide some background music for a family functon next weekend - just a playlist on an iPod that I can leave running throughout the afternoon.

I was going to run an aux in from the iPod to a hi-fi system but the venue we are using have said they will be checking that any audio equipment we bring has a valid electrical safety (PAT test) certificate. The only thing I have currently PAT tested is my bass amp.

I am fairly sure this won't cause me any issues but I will be running an iPod into my Ashdown Little Bastard 550w hybrid bass head into my Gallien-Krueger MBE212 cabinet.

Is there anythying I need to keep in mind or will this be as straight forward as I am guessing it will be?

Thanks guys.

2. No worries at all, eq to taste and go!

3. And if your cab has a horn,tweeter. Your probably gonna want to use it.

4. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

Nov 27, 2005
    What is the PAT test that would be applied to an iPOD?

5. Shardik

Shardik

May 24, 2011
    Halden, Norway
    If you have an aux in on that head, no problem. We do it all the time on band rehearsals when we try to agree on new songs to play. There may still be a couple of gotchas:

If you have an AUX in, it is not certain that it will be subject to the EQ.
    If you don't have an AUX in you will probably have find a way to feed that stereo signal into mono instrument in. You'll also have to be careful with the gain, and I suspect it is a good idea to treat that signal as if it came from an active bass.

6. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

Nov 27, 2005
    If no aux, use the SEND.

7. davidjackson

davidjackson

Sep 10, 2011
    UK
    There isn't one. The PAT test requirement would be for the HI-FI I was going to use but isn't tested. You wouldn't need a PAT test for an iPod.

8. davidjackson

davidjackson

Sep 10, 2011
    UK
    It has and I will - thanks!

9. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    The output from an iPod/iPad/iPhone headphone jack isn't as strong as if you were to use a docking station or if you were streaming to a device that has AirPlay. If you can, get an Airport Express and set it up as its own network. Then, you would use a stereo Y cord (stereo mini plug to RCA plugs) into the rig at the venue. Use RCA-1/4" adapters, as needed. You could then keep the i-Device near you and change the music when you want, much more easily than if it had to stay at the house PA/stereo system. If the output needs to go to a mono input, make/buy an adapter for this- sometimes, the output of a device doesn't do well when the channels are combined without some nominal resistance between them.

Here's a paper by Rane about this, with a diagram-
    http://www.rane.com/note109.html

10. davidjackson

davidjackson

Sep 10, 2011
    UK
    Thanks everybody - really helpful as ever.

11. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Yeah I was gonna say you may finally have a use for the tweeter in some of these cabs!

What a PITA venue!

12. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I'd run it in the front and manage the gains/use the pad if needed as I'd probably want the eq to straighten out the bass cab, but yeah, rig a cable to sum the stereo out into a mono and it'll work.

13. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    You could do the summing with a cheap 1/8" stereo to 1/4" mono adapter plug from radio shack or somewhere as you'll need that to patch in anyway.

Point is, I woukd want the use of the eq to get the music sounding decent through the bass cab.

14. Shardik

Shardik

May 24, 2011
    Halden, Norway
    Be careful with that cheap stereo to mono plug! You may damage the stereo out on your sound source.

15. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Didn't think of that. I don't have an ipod, but I would guess the little things are not very robust. Of course, earbuds that get used with them aren't either.