1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

playing music through bass amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by azsfcsh, Oct 25, 2006.

1. azsfcsh

azsfcsh

May 31, 2005
    Gilbert Arizona
    Well, i have a question for you many wise people. Lately i have been using my Ampeg BA115 combo amp as a moniter to play music through.. And it really thumps. My question is.. how many of you play music through your bass amp, and what kind of gear are you using to do this? I was thinking about maybe using my iamp 600 and getting like a 2x15" cab to go with it. just to have the thump while playing bass but also when im bored, to play music through it. Also, ive "ghetto rigged" my amp into my car through a 600 watt inverter into my cig thingy in my car.. and used it as my stereo/sub.. and to be honest with you.. its louder than most high end car audio that i know of. Anyways, im just wondering if im the only one to do this, or do others do this as well?

2. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I've ghetto rigged a few stereo systems through bass amps.
    Any line level signal thats not to hot/loud, should work fine.

I'll bet you have been using only a mono, (right or left ch.) input
    to your amp, and missing the other half of the recording.

You need to have a way to combine the stereo signals to mono.
    (unless your bass rig is 2-ch.)
    You should not just use a y-cord adapter, to combine both
    ch. of a stereo preamp output.

Center channel out, on a (a/v) stereo unit would be mono.

Some old, high-end home stereo amp/preamps, had a mono switch and preamp out jacks.
    (thats what I first used for my ghetto-rig.)

You could also use a small mixer to achieve a mono line signal.

Your car stereo "sub output" is probably a mono signal already.

3. azsfcsh

azsfcsh

May 31, 2005
    Gilbert Arizona
    its somewhat mono.. its weird.. im probably hooking it up in a way that might be hurting the amp however.. i just take a 1/4" cable and plug it straight into the bass amp like my bass.. but then plug the other end into a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter, then into a cd player or my computer or something like that. When i had it in my car.. i just turn off my stereo and put the amp in my back seat with a cd player connected to it. It was louder than my entire car audio, which isnt all that great, but still, something completely unexpected.

4. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    That wont hurt your bass amp.

But at some point, your 1/4" to 1/8" adapter or your mono guitar cord is
    combining the two R-L stereo signals to mono.

I'm not sure it will hurt your CD player or not,
    but I would never short any stereo outputs together, on any gear I own.

5. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Music through a bass amp? Never. I only play bass. ;)

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I tried it a couple of times. Frankly, it doesn't do the music much service, but it's a great way to expose the sonic quirks of a cab - especially the missing frequencies between the main speaker and the tweeter, if you have one. I used to pipe music through an Eden CX110 cab, and there was definitely a hole somewhere around 500-700 Hz.

7. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    the little Yamaha BB110 speakers are absolutely great for little karaoke type set-ups ... especially the portability of them ...

8. WOOFMAN

WOOFMAN

Mar 12, 2003
    USA, PNW
    I've used a 2000 watt square wave inverter a few times when the power goes out. I have to hook several batteries up together so it'll last longer. I thing sine-wave inverting is the way to go though. More effeiecent. Also, my inverter is mounted inside the engine compartment and is directly hooked to the battery. At one point, I replaced the standard 85amp alternater with a more umph 220amp alternator. You could have a nice outdoor live jam session with that puppy.

9. I've put music through the Ibanez 20watt amp I had once I stoppd using it for bass palying. I used a stereo to mono cable, I think I got it from radioshack. Guitar Centr would be a better place to look at, though.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021