Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Playing my first show as a bassist tonight!!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Exploreforever, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Exploreforever

Exploreforever

Aug 24, 2005
    I've owned my bass about 4 weeks.. had a casual jam with the band back on Monday...

jammed again on Wednesday and came up with a 9 song setlist for tonight.. had a quick practice last night.. and I guess I'm good to go!

I was NOT fingerpicking when this week began but I've been fingerpicking the past 2 days a lot and I think I might be able to pull off not using the pick until the climax of my bass solo.. lol

I'm just a guitar player in disguise :(

2. pontz

pontz

Oct 31, 2003
    CT
    What is the venue?

I've got a show tonight too, at a bar, and we'll play at least 30 songs maybe more.

(I think this thread is in the wrong place)

Anyway, have fun, and please, try not to play like a guitar player.

pontz

3. Exploreforever

Exploreforever

Aug 24, 2005
    hey man I'm trying here :p hehe

sorry.. I guess this wasn't the right one.. :(

the venue is a blues / blues-rock bar in Ottawa called the "Rainbow Bistro"..

not a headlining act, or anything.. just taking over another band's time slot for 2 hours..

4. 9 songs for 2 hours, those must be some long tunes, or you have a lot of people to play solos in each song.

5. Exploreforever

Exploreforever

Aug 24, 2005
    sorry the band's set is for 2 hours.. I'm playing for half, the other half is two brothers on acoustics and a synth

the guitarist solos on every song, I believe.. and I have one song that is for the bass solo.. plus we'll groove it out to it's maximum potential

6. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    Good luck with your show! I've been playing almost 4 years, and my first "gig" is in three weeks. I'm really nervous...

7. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    I suggest you get a friend to video the show. Seeing yourself onstage is quite a revelation. Definitely worth it. :D

8. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Yep, wrong forum. Moved.

9. Yea good luck. I played for about 4 years before my first show(2 months ago). Its quite a blast, enjoy yourself out there :bassist: