1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Playing my own daughter's wedding - ettiquitte questions

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by jaywa, Apr 6, 2009.

1. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    So my daughter is getting married this fall and wants my band to play her wedding dance. Very cool as far as I'm concerned, but wondering about a couple things.

1) How do I handle the fee thing? I would be thrilled if my bandmates comped me (since her mom and I will likely be paying for it), but I certainly don't expect that, nor do I plan to ask for it. I'm thinking I will ask them how much they each want and then I will simply play for free to cut the cost by that amount, anyway.

2) During the dance, how to handle the "daddy" (and in my case, "grand-daddy") dances? Obviously I can't play and dance at the same time... and no one else in my band plays bass. Should I try and get one of my bass player friends to sit in on those songs? Or maybe we just play those songs from a CD and the band takes a break? I suppose I will have to keep my tux on for the whole gig which will not be a lot of fun either.

3) Our standard practice is to do a contract and deposit on wedding gigs... should we still be doing that in this case?

Anything else I should keep in mind on this?

2. guizzy

guizzy

Nov 17, 2008
    Montreal
    Keep the groupie action to a minimum; it would probably be bad form to hit on the bridesmaids. ;)

3. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    Pay your bandmates what they would normally make for the gig were it not your daughter. If they want to forgo the money as a gift, it's up to them. Do the special dances from recorded material or just get by for a couple of tunes without a bass player. It's no biggie for a good band. Be sure they get fed!!!

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Keep the drinking to a reasonable minimum. :)

5. crijan

crijan Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2005
    Dallas, Texas
    Endorsing: JH Audio IEMs
    Usually the father of the bride is quite busy greeting all the wedding guests, would it be an option to sub the bass out for half the gig to split time?

6. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    Yeah, I'm neither a father or married, and I love playing out as much as the next guy, but do you think maybe you'd be missing out on something here? I feel like I'd want to be hanging out with the family... depending on how much you actually enjoy your family as people.

7. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Good point. But, I think the reception line is actually going to be done in the church beforehand so I can get that out of the way there and be off the hook for the dance. Also her bio-dad will be in attendance so maybe he can handle those duties at the dance.

Good thoughts, keep them coming.

8. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Yah, especially since two of the bridesmaids are her sisters!

Actually my bigger concern is keeping my bandmates (well a couple of them, anyway) off my daughters and their friends... some of whom are quite hot.

9. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I was just gonna say that...

But there is no more fertile hunting ground than a wedding gig...

10. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

You know the TB rules:

No pics, no hot bridesmaids, grandpa.:eyebrow::cool:

11. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    You know what would suck though, is if the sub he hired ended up having to bow out and call in their own sub... and if that sub showed up with a six string fretless...

12. thombo

thombo

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    make plenty of awkward comments to or about your new son-in-law... you know what he's after, hope he finds a real job soon, think he needs to slow down on his celebratory toasts, etc.

13. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    YES! LOLOL! Well played, bongo.

14. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    :D

15. thetaxmiser

thetaxmiser Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2002
    Sonoma County, CA, USA
    1. Pay them what they usually make for a casual.
    2. Feed them well.
    3. Hire a sub and play as much as you like...that way you can play it by ear as far as balancing father-of-the-bride and bass player duties.
    4. Relax and enjoy the day (your little girl is all grown up, etc.)

16. jnuts1

jnuts1

Nov 13, 2007
    my sister just asked me to write/play a solo bass piece for when she walks down the aisle. i am completely freaking out. i have never played solo like this before. would 3/4 time be hard to walk to?

17. wilsonn

wilsonn

Sep 26, 2005
    New York
    I am also a photographer, and have been asked to photograph many weddings of personal friends and relatives. It's a conflict of interest. You're going to miss out on one of the important events in your family's life.

You could hire a band that would allow you and your bandmates to sit in for a song.

You could sub out the bass chair and sit in with your band for a couple of songs.

It's very sweet that your daughter wants you to play, but you have another key role that day.

18. *sigh* I suppose we won't be getting any updates to the "Chicks at shows" thread from this one, will we? Oh well...:crying:

19. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I am going to have to give that comment one big thumbs up.

Arrange to let them have you sit in on a few, but take most
    of the day off.

20. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Personally I think my band is going to sound pretty bad with someone else on bass since we've been together for 4 years and they've never done a gig without me before. I know that sounds very arrogant of me but I think they would be very nervous being in that situation with someone else on bass. We have a very good reputation around here and I/they would not want that compromised. And they're not going to want to put in a bunch of practice time to get a sub up to speed cause that's just not how we roll. But you have raised some valid points and I will give it some more thought and make double darn sure she is OK with me being onstage most of the night.