Playing notes on 'g' causes 'e' to vibrate...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Thumbs, May 24, 2004.

1. Thumbs

May 24, 2004
    i'm not sure if it's a technique issue or my bass (Mexico J-bass), but when i play the 4th or 5th fret of 'g', the 'e' begins to vibrate.
    the vibration is strong enough to be heard through my amp.
    i've just started playing, but is this normal behavior for basses?

my only solution so far has been to remember to mute the 'e' with the base of my right hand when i have to play any notes on 'g'.
  2. Hi Thumbs, welcome to talkbass.

It is normal that the other strings will vibrate slightly when playing any string. It is more noticable on the fatter strings.
    In your case the E, but wait untill you play a fiver with the B string unmuted ...
    My guess is that you just hear it better on the 5th fret on the G string because that's the classic Fender deadspot.

You should always mute the unused strings anyway.
    Do a search on "floating thumb technique".
    May be a bit akward in the beginning, but it will be sooooooo worth it !

Good luck and happy bassin' :bassist:
  3. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    yeah ive had this problem in the past, but i just mute it and its no big deal... i've always wondered if its the bridge though, or maybe the nut, would replacing either have an effect?
  4. Thumbs

May 24, 2004
    thanks for your response, george.

i'm glad that the problem is with me and not my bass.
    i've only been playing for a few weeks, but i'm really starting to realize how important it is to have proper right hand technique.
  5. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX

wait just a minute! there is a guy at my school named george looney... or was, he graduated a few days ago. he doesn't live in belgium though, or play bass.
  6. Replacing the nut won't have any effect.
    Replacing the bridge with individual bridges will. (one per string, like on the Ibanez EDA for example)
    But this still won't solve the "problem" completely. (vibrations are transferred through the whole of the bass, not just the nut or strings)

But like I said, you should always mute the unused strings anyway.