1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Playing on a large stage. how to?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by theinexplicable, Jun 11, 2012.

1. theinexplicable

theinexplicable

Jun 11, 2012
    So last night i had my first experience playing on a large stage. right away i noticed several things.

Space - the obvious thing about playing on a large stage is that there is a lot of room to take up and explore. maybe not as big of an issue for most bands, but i'm part of a trio and it was uncomfortably roomy for me. i'm used to a tiny basement so while i was on stage it was hard for me to fill the space. what tricks do you guys use to explore the space?

Reverb - This may have just been a trick of the sound, but there seemed to be a killer amount of reverb. is this usual for larger venues?

Lighting - the lighting was pretty consistent, and very bright. it was harder to convey the mood of our music (Melodic acid punk) than normal.

Vocals - at our practices we've had a sub par sound set-up (monitors running out from the PA. We don't have an amp for our monitors) which has forced me to more or less make out with the microphone in order to make myself heard. last night we had a pro running sound, so my usual style of kissing the mic seemed too loud. Sometimes I would be too far from the mic and sometimes i'd be too close. is there a way to practice this? should i have talked to the sound guy about it? has anyone else had to deal with a similar situation?

Presence - I haven't seen myself on stage yet, but i have the feeling i could work on my presence. any tricks or training advice?

this is our band page.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/awkwardsnail

Thanks in advance
    Elo

2. phmike

phmike

Oct 25, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Moar cowbell :bag: