Playing on the beach

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Gomez, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Gomez

Gomez Live from the Shire

Apr 15, 2005
    Hi everybody,

I did a search but I couldn't find anything, hope this is the right place.

We've got a few gigs at a beach-restaurant in juli and august. We'll be playing on the terrace in a tent so we'll be protected from the sun or rain. I know sound will be a problem but I'm pretty much used to that. I'm mostly worried about the sand. Any experiences, do's & don'ts?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. Don't take your 12k 15-string bass with the gold-finish to the gig.

That's about as much advice as i can give you.
  3. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

Clean out the amps regularly, particularly fan cooled amps, use wind screens aon all mikes. Consider GFI ext. cords or outlets.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.
  4. FUNKonthewall

FUNKonthewall Nailing The Groove

Sep 29, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Endorsing: Fodera Guitars, Aguilar Amps, Dunlop/MXR Accessories
    Make sure you wipe down all uncoated metal on your bass, such as your pickup poles and screws and the like. The salt in the air will make the metal rust. I know from experience... :rolleyes:
  5. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I've mixed a few "beach party" themed shows in clubs, where they brought in lots of sand. We wet it down, which helped a lot. I rented gear from another sound provider for those shows, because his stuff was already thrashed from doing those gigs. Cleanup took several hours, budget that into your fee. I ended up getting a few sealed amps (Crown K2) for shows with blowing dirt and/or sand, since it's frequently really windy here in the Gorge. :cool:

Get everything you can up off the ground a bit, use plastic under your PA cabling, and then enjoy a few of those drinks with umbrellas in 'em, and relax and enjoy the gig.
  6. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I've done a bunch of outside beach gigs.

There is NOTHING more abusive to gear than being outside in the salt air for 4 hours.....

Unless that gig is a HUGE deal beg, borrow, steal or rent your rig.

It's just...easier in the long run.
  7. Gomez

Gomez Live from the Shire

Apr 15, 2005
    Thanks everybody.

Didn't know that playing on the beach would cause such trouble. I treat my stuff as I would a baby so I'm gonna have to put some thought into this. I'll look into renting something or other.

Thanks again
  8. MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    Make sure you hit the gym everyday and go shopping for some cool shorts- You gotta impress the ladies.
  9. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    The thing about beach gigs is that the salt just gets into everything and unless you're prepared to take everything apart to the component level and hose every board, pot and connection down with contact cleaner.....

The salt will just lay there being corrosive and 3, 4...maybe 5 months later, you'll have a pile of junk full of snap crackle and pop.

I use a peavey TKO 150 and a beater jazz special for those gigs.
    They were brand new maybe...2 years ago. That amp looks, works and sounds like it's a thousand years old.

The speaker magnets and voice coils get hot....salt air gets sucked into the gap vent...gets baked onto the voice coil and bobbin in the coil ain't cleaning that out.
  10. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I just had a flashback 20 years to a beach gig. Sand got in almost everything (no tent.) It was a college frat party and there about 300 drunk people wanting to sing on the mic (all soaking wet and falling down.) Our lead singer asked the crowd to ease back, and one drunk asks "why?" Singer screams at the top of his lungs into the mic "cause you will get the f**k shocked out of you!" After that, they gave us a buffer zone.
  11. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    I'll never do another one. Sand, grit, and this weird greasy slime stuff got into everything. Miserable.