1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Playing on the click

Discussion in 'Ask David Overthrow' started by Steven Melensen, Jun 21, 2008.

1. Steven Melensen

Steven Melensen

Aug 2, 2005
    Hi David!

Next week I'm gonna record the bass tracks of my band's upcoming album. I would like to know if you have tips to be perfectly in time with the metronome.

Recently i have been recording myself with a click and it's pretty hard to be always on the click (most of the time I play before and sometime after). Although it sounds tight, I would like to sound more tight.

Do you have any suggestion/exercices to help me with my timing issue?

Thanks in advance.

2. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    USA
    Practice your material to a metronome. A lot.

3. Continue to practice to a metronome or drum machine. The more you do it, the better you will get at it.

Dave

4. The more that you can subdivide the beat internally, the better. Practice everything that you play (scales, songs, etc) very slowly (quarter note @ 60 beats per minute) and count 16th notes to yourself (Four beats per click.). The more that you play with a metronome, the better you will get -- practice everything in time.

5. Steven Melensen

Steven Melensen

Aug 2, 2005
    Thanks for your advices guys!

6. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I would add to this that if you put the metronome on 8ths (2 clicks per beat), it will make it A LOT easier to sync up. Practice this way at a comfortable tempo, not too slow.

Then, when it feels solid, venture off into slower or faster tempi. Then, go back to one click per beat and repeat.

Get lot's of rest AND practice, don't drink too much coffee, and have fun! :cool:

7. jayarroz

jayarroz

Jul 10, 2007
    Boston
    Endorsing Artist: Glockenklang
    Start at one BPM then move it up only by one BPM at a time. There is a big difference. Then put the click so there is only 1 click. So go 1,2,3,4, click. or 123 click etc. Then shift that click around, so put it on the 2 = so 1 click 3,4 etc. Keep doing that so you can hear and find a click anywhere. Being able to land on that one with space in between is very important. Then try going for twelve bars of silence and landing on the one, something I make the whole band do when we are just hanging out. See if your all in time!

8. Sho-Bud

Sho-Bud

Jan 12, 2010

Stomp your foot on the beat. Or nod yord head, shuffle, dance. Whatever do something other than using your fingers on the bass. Play notes and keep time.

I rock back and forth on stage like when vaccuming.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021