Playing Once Again

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by fireworks_god, Sep 28, 2003.

1. fireworks_god

Oct 30, 2002
    Okay, well, I moved to Norway from the United States (I'm here for a year), and my old Yamaha BBN5 had to stay in the United States (well, it didn't have to, but I was under the impression that I didn't need a hardshell case and that I could wrap a blanket around the bass in the gig bag right up until the night before I left, hehe)

Anyways, after two months here, I finally had the money and bought me a new Ibanez EDB605 (it actually cost me about $300 more than normal price due to the Norwegian tax system), and of course, I picked up Sirius (not one for naming basses, but it seemed like the perfect name)for the first time and was terribly out of shape.

One of the worst things is my physical out of shape-ness. My endurance is not much and I actually have to start playing again really slow, because at first I pushed to much from being so excited and really wore out my left wrist and shoulder, it really limits my playing for the time being.

My beloved technique is starting to make its way back, but of course there are some minor glitches here and there..

I then came to the realization that my technique wasn't all that great to start out with.

Well, for how much time I have played, it was really good. I play with a pick (someday I will set it down and work the fingers, but that day will be awhile down the road). I am into a wide variety of metal, like IN FLAMES, Dimmu Borgir, TOOL, METALLICA, Megadeth, IRON MAIDEN, Dark Tranquillity, etc. etc.

Anyways, basically the road to recovery and beyond is just slowly taking my time and expanding, playing some things to build up the endurance, certain things for note precision and so forth..

So, any suggestions? I will be working with a lot of Geddy Lee stuff, and will be mastering Cliff Burton and Steve Harris' lines.. Just spending a lot of time carving my technique into stone, I guess.. it is just hard at first to not get pissed at where you are at, heh.
  2. fireworks_god

Oct 30, 2002
    Does anyone even post on Technique anymore?
  3. What are you having difficulties with? Just getting the hands back in shape? If you know any scales, you can just sort of go through them in all 12 keys. Also, some of the open-string exercises in Rufus Reid's "Evolving Bassist" are good for right hand dexterity. Other than that, learning some classical pieces can do quite a bit of good too - string skipping, arpeggios, legato lines - there can be a lot to be found there.
  4. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    If you are going back and starting over technique-wise this would be the best time to start doing fingerstyle.
  5. fireworks_god

Oct 30, 2002
    Eh... don't think so.

I will someday advance my fingerbass just for the hell of it, so I can like kick the ass of the ones that think I can't play because I use a pick, but I still prefer the pick by all means.