Playing open E string vs down tuning

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by mbell75, May 13, 2019.

1. Open string

13 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Down tune

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. mbell75

mbell75

May 23, 2016
    Lets say you are playing a song that requires a lot of the note E. Do you prefer to play the open E or do you down tune so you can play the E as a fretted note? Ive gotten pretty good at muting the open E note quickly to hit the next note which is a D on the A string, but Im wondering if dropping my E string to a C# and playing the E at the 3rd fret then to the 5th fret of the A might be more efficient.

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    I use Palm muting to take care of that situation.

mbell75 likes this.
  3. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    If you really prefer playing a fretted E instead of an open E, you are a prime candidate for a 5-string.

Reg Braithwaite likes this.
  4. mbell75

mbell75

May 23, 2016
    Been there and done that, don't like 5 strings. I have 3 basses, I will probably just keep one in drop tuning for certain songs. Probably the best choice. Just wondering what others preferred.

Lobster11 likes this.
  5. ForestFriend

ForestFriend

Apr 14, 2019
    I use the open string. When I pluck the A string with my finger, I bring my finger all the way down to the E string to mute it. Maybe there's a millisecond where both strings are ringing, but it's unnoticeable.

mbell75 likes this.
  6. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Get a 5 string

7. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    You couldn't be bothered to read just four posts after the OP? In one of them I suggested this, and in the next one he responded. He's tried 5-strings and doesn't like them.

mbell75 likes this.
  8. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

Oct 17, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I can't keep the rest of what I'm doing straight if dropping the tuning of only one string. While one bass stays in D,G,C,F and I can move between that and standard B,E,A,D,G with no problem. I don't have time to retune between songs or trade basses. So if I have to hit that low note and it is an open string so be it.

mbell75 likes this.
  9. I stay in standard tuning, so I don't drop tune. Yes, that means my low E is not going to be as low as you would like, however, this is how I do it, and the guys are not calling me out -- so I don't worry about being that low.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021