Playing others' songs in public: the performing rights issue.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Rockin John, Jun 14, 2001.

1. I've asked around and there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer on this one.

If you play songs by someone else how do you stand pertaining to royalties and all that business? And I'm sure the answer varies from country to country.

Even the authorities don't really seem to know. Here in UK the best answer I can come up with is that the venue hiring the band (I think that also applies to discos) is required to hold a licence and part of the licence fee goes to some sort of central pot to pay royalties. It seems the artists are not required to hold a licence nor to be responsible for such things.

Comments please, guys.

Rockin John
  2. ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Here in the states you're covered as long as you play in an establishment that is an ASCAP member. Generally, however, most bands aren't concerned with a "cover" of their songs as long as it's not recorded, or performed by another large band.
  3. Yeh. You see, over here, we went a bit crazy on stuff like that a few years ago: copyright and all that. It might have had something to do with Britain and Europe but that's another story.

Frinstance, copying a musical score is a definite no-no. Public and private photocopiers carry notices about what may and what may not be copied. You simply can't copy music now, and that's that. Similar murmurings were made about actually playing the music.

And I think something along those lines has prevented that well known WWW music site form operating as it once used to do. That is, in general terms, musicians being upset that their efforts are being undermined to a very large degree.